In The Jungle, The Mighty Jungle.....

Montreal Travel Blog

Clean Pants
So, we are now in Montreal, Quebec.

We caught the train up from Toronto on Tuesday, which was a five and a half hour journey through some very cold terrain, even the windows of the train froze over with ice! We arrived at the station to find everything in French, with about a quarter of signs translated for us liguistically challenged people (I seem to be getting by with "Bonjour" "parllez-vous anglais" and "merci"). We managed to walk in a complete circle around the outside of the station before getting our bearings (it was dark and very, very snowy!). The hostel itself is huge, much bigger than the one we were staying in back in Toronto, that one could hold about 90 people max I think, where as this one holds upto 240! The one plus is that it has laundry facilities, we so far have been washing stuff by hand and then hanging it as close to the radiator as possible to dry.
The Jungle
We grabbed everything, including my very smelly, peed upon ski trousers, and shoved it all into the washer, and then the dryer. When the clothes came out they were so warm, I actually cuddled them for a bit as it was the warmest I've experianced for a while!!

Wednesday we decided to go to the Museum of Contemporary Art. It was free between 6-9pm so we thought we would take advantage. It was a pretty long distance to walk and it was absolutely freezing, temperatures were around the -18 mark and I couldnt feel my chin or for that matter most of my face by the time we got there (must invest in a scarf!). Now, it might be me getting old or just the fact that I dont really have much to do with art generally but I SO dont understand contemporary art. Most of it looked like what the rest of us throw away because it offends the eye, or that a toddler drew over, but it seems that nowadays it has "hidden meaning" and is labelled as art.
Looking for sloths
....*shrugs* go figure. There was one piece that I thought was cool, it was a piano that had been rigged up to a motion sensitive panel that registered when some one walked in front of it and then played a tune via wires connected to the piano.

On Thursday we went to the Biodome, which is a huge round building that recreates four ecosystems from around the globe, tropical, temperate, marine and arctic. It was $16 to get in but we got a discount with our HI card so it ended up only $12, result! We wandered along pathways that lead us through huge areas that were lush with wildlife. Within the tropical section we encountered birds, monkeys, lizards, capybara, sloths, caymens and a host of others, all within arms reach if they so desired. There were so many different species running around it was such fun trying to spot them all.
How pretty!
It was great to find somewhere that is trying to recreate the natural environment of these animals, rather than just shoving them in a cage with nothing to stimulate them, just so people can gawk at them. We spent pretty much all day there, we walked round slowly, had lunch, then meandered through again. It was great because it was later in the day and the animals that came out at dawn and dusk were starting to wake up. The lynx and the beavers, which had been tucked away on our first trip round were out and active, the two lynx were actually very lively and chasing each other round the enclosure, playing what looked like a rather rougher version of "had".

Yesterday we went to "Old Montreal". It was a bloody long walk which consisted of us walked very gingerly and slowly to avoid slipping on the ice that seems to have formed everywhere only to find that what was described as 'the liveliest place in Montreal" was almost abandoned in winter! We had to navigate ourselves down a very steep road without breaking something. We managed this by walking in the middle of the road on what would, I assume, be a grass verge in summer. The market was very quiet, selling mostly overpriced clothes, fur and souviners, none of which we were even tempted to touch. We then walked up to what we thought was an exhibit of inuit art, it turned out to be a VERY expensive innuit art gallery. A piece no bigger that a golf ball was labelled up at $300 and larger pieces the size of say a cat, were $1700!! We were very careful not to break anything!!

Montreal