Getting There

Toronto Travel Blog

So, lets recap!

6.30am the alarm sounds and I drag myself out of bed and hop in the shower, I had taken my straighteners to Rachel's as I wanted to look good for the farewell photos Rachel's mum was sure to take (I know its such a girlie things to do but hey we all have our weaknesses!). We had packed our bags two days before so all we had to do was pop them in the car and try to make sure we remembered everything else.

Once we got to Gatwick we checked our bags in; the woman at the queue point gave me a very dodgy look and asked some very pointed questions about how long we were planning to stay ( I think she had us down as wanting to stay perminently). There was virtually no queue for check in which was just as well as because as soon as I had been handed our boarding passes Rachel said she wasnt feeling well.
Enjoying aeroplane food
We quickly walked over to a pillar and she sat/slid down until flat on her back. It turns out she was overheated, she had been a bit too overeager with the 'layering' process and had put on thick thermals bottoms, trousers, flight socks, thermal top, vest, long sleeve T shirt, jumper and had a jacket just in case!! As soon as Rachel had cooled down a bit we shoved her into a cubicle in the toilets and got her to strip off the twenty extra layers she had on then headed to Frankie & Bennys for a spot of brekkie. After breakfast there was a quick farewell at the check in gate before we were left to fend for ourselves.

Going through check in was pretty quick, though I did set the metal detector off and had to have a pat down by the rather grumpy looking officer (I dont think I was her type).
Rachel with her meal
We didnt loiter in the duty free part because 1, we couldn't affford anything and 2, I was eager to see the planes. I think no matter how many I may go on it will still always amaze me that something that big and clumsy looking can get off the ground.

Our seats on the plane were not bad considering it was a zoom flight, my knees didn't even touch my chin. Rachel of course got the window seat as I needed to hang my gangly legs out into the aisle every now and again to let the blood circulate. I have to say being a veggie does have certain advantages, I got my lunch before Rachel and it was pretty good. It was pasta with a tomato sauce and some sort of nut thing, side salad, a bread roll and fruit salad. We even got a snack later in the journey, I had a mini salad bagette (the bagette was mini not the salad) while rachel had a chicken salad bagette and gloated that she got a chocolate bar in hers.
Finally There

We both didn't manage to sleep on the plane so we got pretty bored and were very happy when our 9 1/2 hour flight arrived an hour ahead of schedule. Once we had got through the queue at customs we caught the shuttle bus into downtown Toronto and walked the 5 mins to our hostel. Its located within spitting distance of the CN Tower and is nice and quiet, with a laid back atmosphere. We share a four bed female dorm with our own bathroom (with shower) and get breakfast provided. We were shattered when we arrived, Canada is 5 hours behind England but had to force ourselves to stay up until 10pm (3am UK time!) so that we didn't get jet lag and hopefully adjusted to the time difference a bit quicker.

Toronto