I C Ice

Ottawa Travel Blog

Unicorn Sculpture

So, the storm is finally over, 30cms of snow all in all.

We saw in the Winterlude book that there was a free pancake breakfast so we were up nice and early on Saturday and made our way down to Confederation park where it was. I was excited because I hardly ever have pancakes, not even on pancake day.  Turns out they weren't English pancakes. Maybe I was just being naive but I kinda hoped you know? Never mind, they were perfectly edible and me being me they weren't wasted. Although mine were cold, and so was the maple syrup they poured on them. Not sure if they were both meant to vbe warm, or just one, or neither *shrugs* ah well. After our free breakfast we headed to the Museum of Nature, it was free before noon so we decided to check it out.

One Of The Pairs' Entries
vIt was actually pretty good, it was houses in an old mansion type building (arn't they all) which had parts of it closed for refurbishment but there was a vfaivrly sizable portion open. We checked out the bird display first, which was just lots of stuffed birds in glass cases, but it was laid out nice, showing differences in breed, sex and age. After we popped into the HD theatrre to watch what we thought was going to be a film on Frozen Seas, turns out it was about Dung Beetles but we watched it anyways, just because they arn't as cute, they still do an important job in this world.

The nature programme was one that the BBC had made, narated by Sir David Attenbourgh (one of my heroes) and it made out the Dung Beetle to be some sort of secret agent, sent out on a dangerous mission to save there world.

The One Block Challenge Winner
They used James Bond theme tunes and everything, it was hilarious. Afterwards we checked out the Mammal floor, which was designed to be quite interactive for kids, with lots of touch screens and stuffed animals in displays, with backgrounds mimicking their natural habitat. It saddened me to view such magestic animals like this, I always have very mixed emotions when I visit a Museum and view their collections of stuffed animals. On the one hand I understand that this is as close to these animals that most people will ever get, it brings nature that is existing halfway round the world to them and lets them see just how breath takingly beautful they are. But they are still just a stuffed animal, their skin sitting in a glass case can never truely tell the person standing on the other side of that glass just how amazing they were. Only seeing them alive and in their natural habitat can do them that justice.

Yesterday we checked out the Winterlude festival. The weather was pretty good, the sun bright and strong in the sky, I had to take my hat and gloves off at one stage because it was so warm! There was a lot of people at the Park, drawn out by the mild weather and there was plenty for them to see. There were ice scupltures everywhere, from the one block challenge sculptures sitting in a circle, with rosettes for the winners, attesting to their skill to the individual multi block sculptures, which unfortunately were wilting under the intense glare of the sun. Water dripped from each sculpture, here and there at the base of the sculpture were shattered pieces of ice, where parts had given in and fallen, showing just how fragile these detailed works of art really are. By far the most elaborate were the pairs multi block sculptures. Each pair had been given thirty hours to create a work of art out of 18 blocks of ice, and they had come up trumps. Towering figures and images, each more detailed than the last were standing side by side, these magnificent pieces thankfully protected from the sun under tents.

Rachel and I wandered around admiring all the pieces and then decided to try one of the local fares, a Beavertail. No I haven't fallen off the veggie wagon, and if I did it wouldn't be to eat something as tough and horrid as a beaver's tail! Its a type of pastry thats flattened to resemble a beavers tail and glazed with butter, then covered with a topping of your choice. We settled on just sugar, we didn't think chocolate or garlic & chesse would appeal to us. It was not bad, I've had better but when in Rome huh!

One Of The Pairs Entries