Feliz Semana Santa!

Barcelona Travel Blog

Codorníu Winery in Penedés
Spring break has begun. I'm actually kind of bored, since all my friends have gone off to Italy or Portugal or Greece or Belgium or the Netherlands... But I went to Penedés (the home of Cava, Catalunya's version of Champagne) on Saturday with two of my girlfriends. It's a really pretty, quiet little town with vineyards galore. Then tomorrow I am going to Sitges, another town outside of Barcelona that's famous for its nightlife, beaches and gay pride, interestingly enough. We're only going for the day though, so I'll have to experience the nightlife another time... Then on Wednesday, it's Mallorca time! And I can't wait to "aprovechar!"

I've also planned trips to Vienna, Madrid (with the padres, when they visit), Dublin, and Fez (Morocco)- and I'm hoping to plan at least one more before I come home (either Italy, Germany or southern Spain, perhaps?)! I mean, as long as I'm here, I might as well, right?

I got my haircut today.
Stefanie and Shannon on the tram that took us around the wine cellar!
And... to make a long story short, I'm bald. Okay, not bald, but it's really short, for me. Just make sure to listen to the person holding scissors to your hair, especially if it's not in your native language. I told the lady how short I wanted it, but then she kept asking me questions and I wasn't really paying attention/didn't understand... so I just kept nodding when she asked me things and suddenly four inches of my hair were scattered on the floor. So it's short. And it's going to take some getting used to.

Today I also met with Blanca, my "intercambio" (a student from Barcelona who's learning English and I'm learning Spanish, so we just chat and help each other with our respective languages) for the second time. She's really sweet and it's nice to have another Spanish friend here. She has friends coming to visit from the U.
Wine tasting. Dee-lish!
S. in a few weeks so I'll get to meet them too. And I invited her to go out with my friends and me after Semana Santa. It'll be a fun time. :) She also taught me a new phrase today that I really like. "Estoy empanada," she said. I was a little confused because an empanada is a type of food/pastry thing, so she said "I am an empanada," which doesn't really make sense. But then she explained that it also means frazzled/distracted. So when I'm having an "A.D.D. day," I'll say "estoy empanada" from now on. Qué guay (how cool)!

I've found "my bar." It's a little café/bar down the street from where I live. It's cute but not really anthing special, except that the bartender loves me and decides to give me drinks for three euros everytime I come in. His name is Tony and he speaks English pretty well, so we always have conversations with me speaking to him in Spanish and him answering in English. It's kind of like another intercambio, only with cheap booze involved. Pretty sweet deal, I think. ;)
Codorníu Winery in Penedés
Stefanie and Shannon on the tram t…
Stefanie and Shannon on the tram …
One of the buildings at the winery