Bueno, he vuelto...

Dublin Travel Blog

No caption necessary, really.

Well... yes, it´s been awhile and man, do I have stories. Some good, some bad, some ridiculously awful, some just... different. To say that I have incredibly mixed feelings about Barcelona would be the understatement of the century... It´s going to take me a while to get all my faithful readers caught up, so I´ll separate all my entries. For now, I´ll just start with Ireland.

After my last entry, I went to Dublin, Ireland for a long weekend. My travel partners were two of my girlfriends from my program here, Stefanie and Kerry. As it turns out, they both go to IU too but none of us knew each other before the trip. They were great travel buddies though- both up for an adventure (or two, or five).

Temple Bar
We left for Dublin on a Friday night and arrived pretty late. Since we wanted to get up early and explore, we checked into the hostel and went to bed. The hostel kind of made us feel like we were at summer camp, complete with bunk beds, dirty showers and breakfast at picnic tables, but it was safe and fine for what we paid.

So we got up Saturday morning and went to explore. We began our adventures with Kilmainham Gaol (the ancient jail where thousands of prisoners were tortured), where we took a tour and learned about all the torture that went on there from the late 18th century until it was shut down in 1924. It was also used as the setting for such movies as The Italian Job and Boondock Saints. It was a really interesting tour and our guide was really good, but it was kind of a downer.

Guinness-ing it up in Temple Bar :)
We were all kind of solemn afterwards.

Sooo... in order to lift our spirits, we went to the Guiness Factory! We walked through and looked at all kinds of historical Guiness artifacts and then got a free pint in the Gravity Bar at the top. It´s a big room with tons of drunken tourists packed in, where you can look out the windows and see the entire city of Dublin. It´s definitely something you can´t miss when you´re in Dublin. We had some silly experiences with two German guys who had had a little too much Guiness and told my friend that she has a nice butt. We also encountered some Spanish men, who were talking about us in Spanish, completely unaware that we understood everything they were saying. ¨Qué guapas, las chicas,¨ (¨Such pretty girls¨) they said, so Kerry responded ¨Gracias,¨to which they turned bright red and started laughing.

Adorable market of fresh yumminess in Howth, Ireland
It was fun to be able to use our Spanish for evil. :) After we had satisfied our taste for Guiness, we explored the Temple Bar area, which was so cute. We ate at an awesome Lebanese restaurant where there was a really good belly dancer- who turned out to be American. Small world, huh? I kind of expected Temple Bar to be crazy and dirty (like Barcelona), but it was just cute and quaint and full of jolly, drunken Irishmen. What could be better?

The next day we went to a little town about a half an hour north of Dublin called Howth. We wanted to see the shore and explore a little outside the city so we just went planning to walk around. When we got off the train and walked out of the station, there was a beautiful, bountiful, colorful little market set up! Naturally, I was ecstatic and we spent most of our time there, sampling tons of fresh fruit, locally-made jams and marmalades and tapenades.

Kerry, my little flower child
The people were so nice and we talked to one Argentinean woman who now lives in Ireland on a farm and sells her home-made marmalades. COOL. Then we walked along the shore and a few side streets. Everything was just so darn cuteand quaint- there are really no other words for it. At night, we went back to Dublin and even though we were exhausted for walking everywhere all day long (and the day before), we spent another fun night in the Temple Bar area and this time, we had typical bar food: fish and chips, mmmm... Although I must say, at almost every restaurant, there were plenty of vegetarian options and good ones too! I was very impressed with the options of goat cheese and tomato wraps, veggie chili with guacamole and even veggie burgers at some places- nice work, Ireland!

On our last day, we went to the Dublin Castle, St.

St. Stephen´s Green
Patrick´s Cathedral, Temple Bar and St. Stephen´s Green. The Dublin Castle was beautiful and the Cathedral as well. I´ve definitely seen my fair share of cathedrals, and this one was top-notch. My favorites so far have been the one in Palma de Mallorca and St. Patrick´s. The Gothic Cathedral in Barcelona isn´t bad either, although it´s under construction (just like every other architectural masterpiece in this city). After all the exploring, we jetted off back to Barcelona. Another successful excursion, I´d say.

Guinness-ing it up in Temple Bar :)
Adorable market of fresh yumminess…
Adorable market of fresh yummines…
The bay in Howth