Ice-skating at the Millennium Park, Chicago, IL

Chicago Travel Blog

To be honest, my extremities went numb because of the cold and I could not feel them after waiting in line for skate rental. It was about 26F outside on a Saturday morning. A little too chilly for a gal from the South. But I was determined to ice-skate at the Millennium Park, and there I was standing diligently in the cold with other people who did not bring/have their skates to the park. The park people had to regulate people who were in line and those who were already in the rink. They also had to estimate timing for the people inside the Park Rental Office for returning or renting the skates. Then, they also had to control the resurfacing of the rink. So every 45 minutes or so they shooed everybody out of the rink and the surface truck came in to water and smooth the surface.

After about an hour, it was my turn to get into the rental office. Got my skates, and started to get excited now. Good god, I hadn’t skated for a looooong time. I was rusty and managed to land on my back a couple times, on other people about three times (but they were very sweet about it �" then quickly kept their distance off me). But it was fun and I had a great time. Ice-skating produced laugh and enjoyment. You don’t get depressed with ice-skating. I guess the attempt to balance your body worked with the attempt to balance your mind.

Winter in the Millennium Park was a great experience. I was surprised to find a lot of people �" children, couples, senior citizens, and so forth �" show up in a wintry day like that Saturday.

The Millennium Park
The Millennium Park
the ice truck resurfacing the ice-…
the ice truck resurfacing the ice…
A red building in Lincoln Park
A red building in Lincoln Park
Aaawwww!
Aaawwww!
got to take this famous shot.
got to take this famous shot.
stained glass museum at Navy Pier
stained glass museum at Navy Pier
store signs
store signs
Chicago General Tips & Advice review
Chicago Transit Authority. I highly recommend first timers to purchase the CTA Visitor’s Pass depending on the number of days you spend in Chicago… read entire review
Chicago