Day 9: Another Relaxing Day on Caye Caulker

Caye Caulker Travel Blog

Sunrise on Caye Caulker, as seen from the pier

Today was another peaceful day. They are beginning to blend together now and I lose track of what day and hour it is.

I watched a good movie this morning on tv then we went to check in for the Hol Chan reef tour and found it has been postponed until tomorrow due to the cloudy weather. On that news, Jon and I decided to just bum around the Caye another day.

We walked to Glenda's again this morning for our second attempt at ordering the cinammon rolls. They were tasty and what a steal- 4 rolls to share plus a quart of OJ for $3us.

After breakfast we *were* going to walk to the far end of the island out by the airstrip but I fell spectacularly in a sand puddle leftover from last night's rainstorm and got sand, water and mud all over me.

Religious Art on the street.
So instead we went back to the room, showered, and watched so more tv. Eventually we got up off our lazy bums and put on our suits to go swimming at the split. The current is *very* strong and it was hard to make it across the split easily to the other side. Once across the split we walked around, making our way through the brush and sand flies (ugh, sand flies). We came across a ragged hungry dog - not sure which side of the split he lives on. However, when we swam back across, he swam with us. So adorable and such a strong swimmer. He followed us all the way back to our hotel before wandering off. The dog situation here makes me sad.

Lunch was at Rasta Pasta and although the food was terrible (first bad meal we've had on the entire trip) all hope was not lost.

Another hotel down the road from ours. Beautiful artwork.
The art that graced the walls was fantastic. The artist's name is Walter Castillo and his work is sunny and filled with energy and joy. I love it! I'm hoping to save up for one of his originals. We talked a bit to the Rasta Pasta owner (who was born in Oregon but dragged to Belize by his hippie mother who fell in love with the island after a vacation). He was a nice guy and told us where to find more of Walter's work- at the Coco Plum Gardens Gallery out toward the airstrip.

After lunch we went back to the room- Jon read outside in the beach chair while I went back down to the end of the pier and napped for a few hours. Before sunset we took a long walk and covered a lot fo the island. We finally made it all the way down to the airstrip. We found the Coco Plum Gardens Gallery and dropped in.

birds congregate at low tide
We saw several more original paintings byWalter and heard a little more about his personal life- divorced in a bitter dramatic split and technically not supposed to be back in Belize [but secretly coming to dinner at the gallery on Friday if we want to pay to dine with him]. We left the gallery and made our way out to the fishing dock area where the boats fuel up and pay their docking fees. A young man was fishing off the pier and had already caught a few snappers. We met a twentysomething guy from California on his bike and walked home past the power plant. It burns diesel fuel to produce electricity- a very low tech operation with ZERO security. All the doors were wide open and cables were running everywhere across the ground.

Dinner was at Rose's grill. More lobster! We had a whole grilled lobster each, with salad and fries for $12us. I highly recommend the place.

We walked around a bit after that and came across another stray dog that I, of course, fell in love with. This one followed us back to our room. The longer I stay on the island the more attached to the dogs I become. I wish we could take them all home. The stray that followed us back to our room is sleeping outside our window right now. She must have been recently pregnant as she is still nursing. I wish there was at least an effort to round up the strays and spay/neuter them.

Sunrise on Caye Caulker, as seen f…
Sunrise on Caye Caulker, as seen …
Religious Art on the street.
Another hotel down the road from o…
Another hotel down the road from …
Grilling our lobsters