Day 12: Last Day in Belize

Belize City Travel Blog

Scruffy and Split

Woke up early- a few minute before 6am. We rolled out of bed and walked down to the end of the ocean pier to watch our last sunrise on Caye Caulker. Soon after we gathered our bags, left our key in the hotel room, and headed 2 piers over to the catch the Triple J ferry back to Belize City.

Mama dog caught up with us as we were walking toward the pier and stuck by our side from then on. I rubbed her ears and told her how sorry I was for her circumstances. She licked my cheek in understand and nuzzled up next to me as I sat on the pier. There we waited, her, Jon, and myself for the water taxi. I snapped a few pictures of her and she walked us right down to the very end of the pier when the boat arrived.

Stray dogs on beach
I gave her a big hug and wished her well.

The boat ride was uneventful and 45 minutes later we were back in Belize City. We did pass by 3 large cruise ships docked far offshore.

Once we docked we sat in the Triple J terminal and read for about 30 minutes before we set off to explore the southside of Belize City and pick up a few last minute gifts for friends and family. A bottle of Belize rum for some friends, more hot sauce for us and family, etc. We wandered back over to Dit's and enjoyed lunch there again. Stewed chicken and rice and beans just as before.

We picked up a taxi to the airport. The driver had strong political opinions on the corruption of the PUP and we were treated his political narrative. For the sake of the good people of Belize we hope the UDP wins the upcoming elections.

Mama dog escorts us to our boat

Once at the airport we were surprised to bump into our friends from Minnesota that we had met at the Trek Stop. Turns out they were on our flight back to Atlanta. Jon and I got into an arguement because he wanted me to throw away my 3 remaining oranges and I wanted to take them back home. He was afraid customs would hold us up. Over oranges? Please. He also got upset with me for checking the "yes" box to indicate I had close contact with livestock. Lets see, I petted every cow, horse and donkey tied up along the roadside in Cayo. I think that counts.

Let me tell you about the police state that is customs! Turns out they were freaked out by my 3 meager oranges and confiscated them. They said it was to prevent the spread of disease but I think if that were so they would have a box on the customs form that says "Do you have any communicable diseases?"  Clearly they are only really concerned with preventing orange crop diseases and not people devestating diseases. (Edit: I did research after arriving home and found out that customs is very strict on citrus because some years ago 1 orange brought into the USA spread a horrific orange crop disease that wiped out 3/4 of the industry. oops.)

I cried a lot on the flight home thinking about the poverty we had witnessed on the trip. What can I do about it? How can I make a difference? I need to research this when I get home.

Belize City