Welcome to French Canada!

Montreal Travel Blog

We arrived miserable and cold!
We arrived in Montreal on Tuesday in the dark, in the middle of snowstorm. The first thing we did was get lost, swiftly followed by nearly getting run over. It was 2 very miserable, cold Francophobes who arrived at the hostel! The hostel has a completely different vibe to it than the one in Toronto, it is far far bigger and people don't chat like they did in Toronto. It doesn't bother us because obviously we have each other to annoy, but it must be abit lonely if you are here on your own.

Yesterday we decided to try and get our bearings a little and find the post office and supermarket. This left us cold and miserable again as neither was where the book said! However, we found them in the end, made some dinner and walked up to the Modern Art Museum which was free after 6pm on a Wednesday.
The tropical zone - jumpers off!

I was probably being stupid, but I assumed that people in Quebec would still speak English, but just know French as well, because of their family history. In fact, we have come across some people that don't speak any English, and my year 9 French is proving a little bit inadequate!

Today we went to the Montreal Biodome, which had 4 zones each representing a different ecosystem, tropical, temperate, marine and arctic. The climate, plants and animals were those native to the environment, and were almost close enough to touch! We went round once, had our lunch and then went round again, we certainly got our money's worth!

It seems as though there is a lot going on here, especially in the evenings, so we have booked to stay a few more days.
Looking cold outside the marina
Canada generally is a lot more progressive in terms of gay rights, and Montreal seems to have loads of bars and restaurants in 'the village'!! Lisa is especially pleased that there are many veggie restaurants, as we were struggling a little for choice.

*update* Sat 26th

Yesterday we decided to brave the cold and walked to 'Old Montreal'. Once again we got lost (I don't think we will ever get the hang of this city!). When we got there alot was closed, even the coffee shops which i thought was odd, because after the walk we certainly could have done with a sit down! It was very strange, as we got colder and more tired our speech went a bit slurry (no jokes please...!). We think it was because neither of us could feel our chins anymore and possibly had the onset of frostbite! We have seen quite a bit of inuit art exhibitions here and really like them, so were pleased when the map showed another here. However is was a VERY exclusive gallery shop where the small (2 inches tall) pieces were over $300. I nearly fell over when I saw that, because I really wanted to get some, but we just windowshopped and bought a postcard.... (typical tourists!)

The marina has frozen over and there were many people skating on it which was fun to watch because they were so good! They had even set up benches and trees on the ice for rest stops! While down here we did however find a cafe to get a hot chocolate, very necessary (although it was amusing that the guidebook described it as a "cosy bistro"!). We hadn't spent very much money during the day so decided to treat ourselves to dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant, it was very nice but they whip your plate away as you're still chewing your last mounthful. I want to sit and soak up the ambiance dammit!!
Montreal