Venice Beach

Venice Travel Blog

Approaching Los Angeles

Once we arrived at our hostel in Venice beach we quickly realised that it was not the same style as what we had become used to. We were greeted by a scruffy old guy who showed us to a room with very bizarre organisation. The bunks were curved against the wall like a crescent, which meant that the matresses on the ends were half hanging off, there was also only one ladder which was a health hazard in itself. Unfortunatly we ended up on the top, so every time we wanted to get on on off we had to clamber across the top of the other one's bed.

Piano man on the broadwalk
Not fun. The beach was 35 minutes walk away not 15-20, down one of the most unattractive streets I've ever seen! On the first evening we decided to wander down and stroll down Venice boardwalk, having heard that it was lively and bizarre. I was terrified, we turned the corner and were faced with hundreds of people swarming down the street which was flanked with people trying to sell all kinds of rubbish and tramps pushing past with shopping trolleys etc. I am quite sorry I didn't get a proper picture of this, as it was never that busy again (it was Sat).

The next morning we decided it was far too windy for the beach, so walked down to Santa Monica pier which was about 4 miles in the end. Just before we got to the pier we came across the original 'Muscle Beach' location.

The posers on the beach!
The huge weights and steroid filled guys were down towards the Venice end, and what remained was more like gym equipment. We sat and watched for ages as people did back flips off parallel bars and swung on the rings. They were fantastic, and of course tanned and semi naked (because you just can't do your gymnastics training with a t shirt on apparantly). We had the most fun watching the guys who were they purely to pose, which waltzed in with their tiny shorts and sunglasses, then hung on the bars like a chimp for a couple of minutes before doing some stretches, all the while looking to see who was checking them out. Hahaha

The following morning we managed to sit on the beach for a couple of hours before the wind picked up again, and we felt a little bit like we were just hanging around. The area had nothing to do except the beach and the hugely pushed expensive tours.

Dustin Hoffman queuing for the cinema
There was nothing attractive to walk round, no nice streets to see, it was just a dump. We felt a bit miserable and dissapointed with our LA experience and ended up just going to the cinema! However, while waiting for the film we saw Christopher Eccleston and Dustin Hoffman!! Actually I only saw the back of Christopher Eccleston's head because Lisa casually pointed to him as he walked past 'see that guy, thats......'. I was not impressed but she said she didn't want me to get over excited and make a fool of myself (remembering the 'I love you David Beckham moment' with shame). However when she looked over and said 'that looks like Dustin Hoffman' I very calmly responded that it was because it WAS Dustin Hoffman! Then he bought a ticket at the cinema we were waiting for, so we went into the foyer and just hung around like losers because we were too scared to go up to him!

So we were so far less than impressed with LA. The hostel seemed like a cross between a hostel and a homeless shelter, full of dubious characters. The area was dirty and full of tramps. Having said that, the beach WAS gorgeous, Santa Monica beach was the inspiration for the TV show Baywatch and had the stereotypical lifeguard towers! We saw a gorgeous sunset on our first night, and I built a good sandcastle......

The posers on the beach!
Dustin Hoffman queuing for the cin…
Dustin Hoffman queuing for the ci…
Enjoying the sunset