Snow's the word!

Toronto Travel Blog

It's snowing!!

Yesterday we woke to snow! It was a very British type of snow, about an inch thick and melted on the pavements by lunch, but it was snow!! I can't wait til we get to Haliburton and see 'proper' snow for the first time. The manager of the hostel looked at me with amused pity when I got excited, and assured me that it had been very mild the last couple of days!

We made our way to the old part of town yesterday and spent some time in the large market. It was fantastic, with stalls selling every type of food you might want to eat. Toronto is such a multicultural city, far more so than London, there is a Greek town, Chinatown, Little India, Little Italy, Little Portugal, and many more! The market had stalls for every type of food, from counters cooking Chinese food while you watch, to live lobsters in tanks, via bakery stalls with every type of bread you could every imagine!

This morning we woke to a very clear day, so decided to go up the CN Tower.

At the top of the CN tower
Some mornings we haven’t even been able to see the observation tower at all because of the clouds so we made the most of a clear day. At 553m (1,815 ft) it is the tallest building in the world, and the observation deck which we went up to is 342 m (1,122 ft). I'm not quite sure how that compares to other tall towers I have been up (Blackpool anyone!?) but it was incredible. The cars were tiny, even the huge office blocks in the financial district looked like lego! In fact it looked a lot like cities look when you find them on the Google Earth program, it felt like I had created a huge game of SimCity!

Being so high really showed how distinctive the buildings in the financial district are. They almost look out of place when you can see the landscape from above. There seems to be alot of building work going on in the area too, they are building even more ultra modern glass offices which are very impressive.

The impressive financial district
The underground PATH system stretches out most of the way round downtown Toronto and pops up in the lobbys of the major scyscrapers. We had a wander round yesterday and it was like another city, expensive shops, loads of eating places and hundreds of hungry office workers avoiding going outside, no wonder the streets seem quite empty!

Tonight we are going to sample the night life (maybe find a local drunk to pay for our drinks like the first night!), have a meal out and find a bar. The art gallery is also free after 6pm on a Wednesday so we will make the most of that!

Its snowing!!