Last day in Montreal

Montreal Travel Blog

The ice wall!

We decided to spend our last day in Montreal going up Mont Royal to the North of downtown as the views of the city were supposed to be stunning. When we decided this, we obviously had not considered that this would mean steep hills and lots of steps. However, when we got higher we realised that it was completely worthwhile. Firstly we walked round a corner and saw this amazing wall of ice with hundreds of icicles coming off it. We were so shocked that we just stood for ages looking at it, taking photo after photo!

Once we got into the park we realised that the snow was quite deep. Not a huge number of people venture up during the winter, and the snow was untouched in places and very very deep. Now, I have a bit of a thing with untouched snow, I have to walk in it, HAVE to. So off we trek through the snow occasionally walking past snow shoe-ers (?!) and cross country skiers! The trouble with snow that deep is that you can't see what you are walking over, as I discovered when I walked into the snow equivalent of a pot hole, right above my knee!! We had so much fun, we went home several hours later exhausted and wet, but still grinning!

Whered my leg go?!?