Getting ready to move on..

Ottawa Travel Blog

Snow sculptures!

We have been in Ottawa for over a week now and it really is time to move on. The Winterlude festival has been really fun, we went to the Jacques Cartier park on Thursday which is a bit like a small water park but snow instead! We went quite late in the afternoon and it was really quiet, so we got to go down the ice slides without queuing!! I haven't got any photos on the slides I don't think, I kept taking of my gloves to take photos and then realised I could no longer move my fingers so refused to take any more pictures!! They were doing snow sculptures as oppose to the ice sculpures from Confederation Park, they were enormous and again very intricate.

The Museum of Civilisation next to the Park was huge and facinating.

One of the totem poles
We had limited time there as we went on the free evening, but could easily have spent the whole day looking around. Their display of totem poles in the main hall was fantastic! We have been to quite a few museums now and are getting much more knowledgable about the history, especially when it comes to differences between the French and the English. I can understand why they don't like us very much! Although seeing the different bias in the Quebec museum compared to the Ontario museum is telling in itself!

We went ice skating on the canal on Friday, the hostel lets you borrow skates for free. Now I don't know if it is a coincidence or not that I am no longer friends with anyone I have ever been ice skating with, but I do know that anyone who has suggested ice skating in the last 5 years has been firmly declined.

Don't like it, don't like it.
I knew that it really was something I had to do in Ottawa, but had been putting it off. It's not that I don't like it because I'm not good at it. I don't like it because I become so encased with fear that even sitting on a bench feeling my feet flailing uncontrollably underneath me sends me into a blind panic. I don't think Lisa believed me when I told her I would freak out. She won't make that mistake again haha. In all honesty after 2 hours of frantic bench clutching, forcing Lisa to put her shoes on and walk me round, and strangers telling me it was 'supposed to be fun you know', I did feel a little better and managed to skate about 20 m by myself. Yay me. Perhaps I will put it on my list of 'will never be able to do, don't bother trying' activities.

Tomorrow we head off to Chicago, well sort off. We get on a bus at 2.30pm, to get to Toronto at 7.30pm. We find something to eat and entertain us, then get on another coach at 1am (I know...), to cross the US border at 6am, to arrive in Chicago at about 2.30pm. Urgh. We have not looked at the Chicago guidebooks yet so that we have something to do on the journey, as I suspect sleep will not be easy! However, we do get to stay in a nice hotel for 3 days when we get there, BLISS!! I'm so excited about Chicago!!

One of the totem poles
Dont like it, dont like it.
Don't like it, don't like it.
Ottawa