Dr Doolittle eats deep pan pizza

Chicago Travel Blog

Nom nom nom nom!!

We have been in Chicago for 4 days now, and moved today to the hostel after staying in a hotel. We have a private room which is a significant bonus, as I'm not sure what a dorm would bring here. The room is ok, small of course, twin beds pushed together (despite the 3 inch height difference!), but with a distinct smell of wee. That's a little off putting. We are sharing a bathroom with the rest of the floor but haven't come across anyone yet.

The skyline from Navy Pier
I'm quite glad, because none of the loo doors have locks, and one doesn't even have a door!!

Because we were in a hotel, we had a great excuse to sample the famed Chicago cuisine. No, we were not disappointed! The deep dish pizza place we went to cites itself as the first in Chicago, as do half the restaurants, although this one was in 2 guidebooks so we believe it more! Wow is all I can say. It took 45mins to arrive as they make each one from scratch as they are ordered and looked more like a quiche than a pizza! Lisa had a veggie one and I had the 'Uno' (named after the restaurant) with pepperoni, sausage, mushroom, onion and peppers. YUM! We were stuffed by the time we finished even though it looked quite small, and again was very cheap! Last night we went out for a curry at the Taj Mahal (all class.

The Bean!
..) and made the most of the free water refills as both curries were much spicier than we were used to! I think the chances of us leaving Chicago the same size as we entered are slim (no pun intended!)

The hotel was very central which meant that we could explore much of 'The Loop' area on foot. On Wednesday we went to Navy Pier, with 101 souvenier shops and a free stained glass exhibition. Most of Lake Michigan by the shore is harboured off, so was frozen which was a strange sight, expecially when we saw a tug boat powering through the ice! I can only imagine with horror how busy the place must be in the summer, but we had it almost to ourselves. It was also very sunny, and felt quite warm (although the temp display showed -2). We must be becoming desensitised to the cold!

Yesterday we walked through Grant Park and up to Millenium Park where they have a highly polished sculpture jokingly referred to as 'The Bean'.

I haz a cold dose....
It basically looks like a giant shiny silver kidney bean placed so that it reflects the Chicago skyline. I've made it sound a bit rubbish but believe me it is AMAZING!! We walked round and round it during the day and at night, and were completely enthralled!

Our flea pit of a hostel is right by Lincoln Park, so this afternoon we had a wander around, and while fussing over a squirrel, attracted the attention of about 50 Candian geese. It was quite scary, although Lisa thought that taking a video of me squealing as they lurched towards me was more amusing than saving me..... We played Dr Doolittle with the squirrels which was hilarious, they are obviously very used to being fed and literally came running when I opened my bag of peanuts to give them a treat. At one point we could see 12 within about a 10 ft radius, and we got the braver ones to come and grab the peanuts off our trainers! As we walked away we saw rabbits sitting under a bush and hundreds of sparrows in a little tree that made it look like the tree was moving! When we had walked about 100m, we looked back and our fan club was following us!

Where? I cant see it