Croatian breeze

Dalmatia Travel Blog

If you asked me  (I dont assume you will) what is it that I remember best about Croatia I would tell you (I don’t assume you will listen!) that I remember Croatia by  its delicate, soft warmth, big juicy yummiestest ;) black olives and homemade wine. I also remember it by the azure of the sea and indigo of the sky. If you asked me if I like the country • I will answer ‘No doubt about it’.

Dalmatia (a region on the eastern coast of the Adriatic Sea), situated mostly in modern Croatia and spreading between the island of  Rab and the  Gulf of Kotor, takes you to the Byzantine times of rich mosaics and lavish decorations, while (boy, oh boy), the cute, vigorous, and devious Croatian lads ;) take  you to the best beach parties ever. ;) When the young dance you till the daybreak, older tell you their life stories. And if you careful enough you will notice these playful, bright sparkles in the eyes of them all.

I remember I enjoyed walking along the narrow ‘siesta’ streets of Zadar and Split. And even when the heat was streaming down, I could still feel gentle puffs of air. Light zephyr dancing around my body. Sitting in the shadow I would fix my eyes on the green wooden shutters, waiting for them to move. Just to confirm that there is someone living in these tall buildings made of white brick. But they would never move. Never opened wide. As if the town was deserted and dormant. But don’t be misled by the empty streets and the seeming tranquility!  It is only a short break before a sweet and eventful evening.

* * * * * * * *

Zadar is located opposite the islands of Ugljan and Pasman. It is quite an old city which gained its structure in Roman times. During the time of  Julius Caesar and Emperor Augustus the town was fortified. Back then many towers and walls were built. Inside the ancient town, a medieval parts had developed with numerous churches and monasteries.

Split, on the other hand, is the largest and most important city in Dalmatia. It is mainly the administrative center of Croatia, and the country's second-largest city.  Since late 70s, the historic center of Split has been included in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites. Split is also known as one of the mian centres of the Croatian culture.

Sibenic is  a historic town of Croatia, today a typical tourist resort. The Cathedral of St. James is on the UNESCO world heritage list.  The town was mainly constructed in 15th and 16th centuries, both in Gothic and in Renaissance  style. One can feel the ghost of the past when wandering aimlessly about the market square.