Harbour Town

Hilton Head Island Travel Blog

Our house and ride. Let's go!

Hello, my friends.   It's been a little while since Jerry and I have been anywhere together.  By that I mean, just the two of us.  You know what I mean.  It seems we are always with our family or friends.  So on this short three-day trip, we decided to be adventurous and head out alone.  The weather was really nice for early December and, as usual, I packed entirely too many clothes.  Why do I do that?  I'm always afraid that I might "need" something that was left back at home.  What if it turns really cold, or maybe it will rain, or what if I want to get in the hot tub.   We travel so much on the GoldWing, I have learned to really pack light for those trips.   But when we take the car, well, that is a horse of a different color.
Sunrise out my motel window

We arrived at the Oceanfront Holiday Inn on Hilton Head Island right about dusky dark.  There was just enough time for us to check in and make our way to our fourth-story room to freshen up before dinner.  It was a pleasant night with no wind and moderate temperatures, so we decided to walk down the street and find a place to eat.   Early December is really the off season for Hilton Head, so there was little traffic and few folks out and about.  We were able to find a nice eatery with good food and service.  It would be an early-to-bed night for us; we were tired from the 8-hour drive.

The next morning I peeked out of our window to see the Atlantic Ocean, just as smooth as a baby's behind.  Small waves were lapping up on the beach and it reminded me more of a lake than an ocean.
Harbour Town Lighthouse.
  The sky was clear and the temperature was supposed to climb up into the low 80's by lunch time.  Great day for exploring.   I've got to be truthful with you.  Hilton Head is a golfers paradise.  If golf is your game, then this is the place for you.  However, Jerry and I don't play golf.  We don't even know the proper way to hold a golf club.  So it was up to us to find something else of interest on the island.

Hilton Head is a beautiful place.  It was fun to explore the different parts of the island.  Since it was off season, the restaurants and shops weren't crowded and we were able to negotiate through the round-abouts without a problem.   Those of you that have traveled through Europe know all about round-abouts, but this was something new for Jerry.
Harbour Town Yacht Club
   Do you stop or go?  Whose turn is it anyways?  I got a good laugh out of it and fortunately for us, we weren't threatened with ugly words or hand gestures.    I saw a brochure about Harbour Town and thought it might be a good place to eat lunch.  This is a private neighborhood and yacht club, but visitors are allowed through for a small price.  We drove up to the guard house, paid our entrance fee for a one-day pass, and drove out to the end of Lighthouse Road.  Jerry pulled into an "end" parking spot (he's really anal about his car getting bumped) and we were ready to explore.

The first thing I wanted to see was the famous sailboat, "Stars & Stripes" made famous in the 1987 America's Cup when it won the cup back for the USA.
Dennis Conner's "Stars & Stripes '87"
  After winning the trials and choosing its challenger, it went on to beat the Australian defender, the "Kooaburra III" by four races to nil.   Jerry pointed out a small sailboat in one of the boatslips at the marina and said, "There it is."  I was quick to come back with, "No, that can't be it.  It's too small."   As usual, I take off to find someone that can point me in the right direction and Jerry is right on my heels.   There were some pleasant looking waitresses at one of the outdoor cafes that I just knew would be able to help me.  "Where is the famous sailboat, The Stars & Stripes, docked?  Do you know?"  Well, true to form, no one could tell me or even knew what I was talking about.
Dinner time
   That is, until I asked the lady in the visitor center.  She said, "Lady, you just passed it.  Turn around and go back down to the pier and it's the small blue sailboat in the first slip."  Why is Jerry always right?  Can you tell me that?

After a wonderful day of exploring and shopping, it was time for dinner.  That is probably my favorite time of day, when we get to sit down and relax and have conversation while someone else brings us our drinks and well-prepared food.  What could be better?  I asked around to get some ideas about where to eat and several folks suggested the same restaurant.  Sounds like a good idea and it turned out to be really, really delicious.  A wonderful way to end the day.
Our house and ride.  Lets go!
Our house and ride. Let's go!
Harbour Town Yacht Club
Dennis Conners Stars & Stripes …
Dennis Conner's "Stars & Stripes …
Atlantic Ocean in a good mood
Atlantic Ocean in a good mood
Unusual live oak
Unusual live oak
Steamers Seafood Restaurant all de…
Steamers Seafood Restaurant all d…
17 km (11 miles) traveled