AfricaEgyptCairo

Sands of Time

Cairo Travel Blog

When I first arrived to Cairo, the first thing that shocked me was the weather. Yes the weather. I expected it to be hot and dry, but what I got was cold and windy. I even had to break out my Northface fleece. I would also like to dedicate this space to the time zones. After hopping through 4 countries in 3 continents, and god knows how many time zones, my body was finally breaking down. I never had time to adjust. I was constantly tired and unaware of what time or even day it was. But one thing has helped me. Going backwards. I started out 16 hours ahead of New York and now I'm only 7. Hooray. Anyway, back to Cairo

My first day was filled with monuments. I started out at Memphis (the first capitol of a united Egypt) to see the Rames II statue. It was huge. Granted it was laid on it's back, it was still big. I then proceeded to Sakkara to see the Step Pyramids. That was when it first hit me. I'm in Egypt right by the pyramids. The freaking pyramids. Something that I've only seen in movies and books. After a few tourist traps (perfume store and the bazaar, I refused the papyrus store) I finally made it to Giza for their pyramids. When I got there it was breath taking. I stood in awe in its presence. 3000 some odd years ago, builders were in the same spot, creating one of mankinds greatest achivements. Something that would withstand the harshness of time. Fast forward to the present, and there I was, standing in the shadow of the Pyramids. The Sphinx was also impressive, but not as impressive as the pyramids themselves.

The second day I went to a few other sites around Cairo. The Citadel, khan al kali market place, Old Cairo, and the Egyptian Musuem. The Egyptian Museum was huge. You could easily spend hours and hours there. I was only afforded 2 since I signed up for the other tour the first day. They had so many artifacts there. Some things were so rare, they only had one example of it. Like a statue with an adam's apple. The only known one of its kind. The Citadel offered an impressive view of the city, and since it wasn't hazy, a view of the pyramids too. Old Cairo held churches and a synogue which surprised me. It was there I realized that history and religion is intwined. Egypt was where Moses grew up, same as where the Virgin Mary took Jesus. It also went from paganism to an Islamic state. The Romans and Greeks were also briefly there. Egypt's history is so rich and so diverse. At night I went to the Pyramid Light and Sound show. They illuminated the pyramids in all sorts of color while giving an overview of its history. The light show was semi impressive, and the story was a bit over dramatic. The one thing I really got out of it was the way they lit up the pyramids. Green, red, yellow, and even blue purple. Seeing them in that light is well worth the show.

Cairo