Luck of the Irish

Dublin Travel Blog

After a little debate on where I should spend St. Patrick's Day, I decided to spend it in the only place I should, Dublin. I mean how can I not when I'm in Europe. It's so close. When I first arrived I was welcomed by Ireland's typical weather. Rain. Even though it was raining I didnt't that dampen my spirits (sounds a bit familar...Sydney?). I decided not to get overly drunk the first two nights I was there. I needed to save my strength (and money) for the big day. I started off walking around town, visiting the sites. Dublin castle wasn't too extraordinary, actually pretty plain. The Jameson distillery though was everything I thought it'd be (I'm a big fan). I got there just in time to buy tickets for the last tour. While waiting ( I got there at 4, the tour started at 5:30) they had a bar that only serves Jameson. I also spent some time in the gift shop. I brought a t-shirt, a flask, and a 12 year old bottle of Jameson that they only sell at the distillery. The tour itself was informative and at the end you got a free drink of Jameson. They also picked six volunteers for a taste test. I didn't get picked but maybe next time when I go back.

The big day (St. Patricks) was great. I watched the parade by Parnell Square for about an hour. I wasnt in a good spot and am kinda short so I saw mostly the back of people heads but I was able to see the floats and balloons and the occasional band members. I was told that this year they reversed the course since it usually ends in Parnell. After I had an incredible urge to drink so I headed down to temple bar to find a place to satisfy my thirst. I settled on this place for a few drinks (temple bar is very touristy so prices were high) and met a local who told me about this place further away from the touristy spot. I ended up going there later that night. They allow anyone to play their instuments so theres always live music.  There I happened to met two very lovely girls who taught me some Galiec. Hopefully I'll meet the blonde again (she was very cute) next time I'm in Dublin. On my last day I went on the Guiness tour and brought way too many souveniers but I did learn how they brewed my favorite beer.

Dublin