New Years Eve 2008

North Sydney Travel Blog

Several bottles of champagne, a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue, and a prime location in North was going to be a good night. The first fireworks show started at 9PM on New Years Eve. This was the "kid" show because of the earlier start time. It consisted of four barges firing off fireworks for 15 minutes or so, quite a spectacular site! The same fireworks were going off in four different parts of the city and in the distance you could see one after another. The city was alive with lights and sounds. The adjacent high-rise had many people standing on their balconies cheering and shouting. You could hear people celebrating all around.

The real show started at midnight. For this we walked down to the Harbour bridge and tried to get up along the water.
Just as we got near the gate controlled by the police, they stopped allowing people into the area! We had to walk a few blocks down and crowd on a side street to get a glimpse of the bridge. But wow, was it worth it. The fireworks show was absolutely amazing. The best I have seen. The bridge was shooting off fireworks all along it's length. The center piece, where a large "sand clock" made of lights which helped with the countdown, had sparks flying out of it. The entire harbour was lit up! It went on for 20 minutes or more it seemed. People were yelling, cheering, hugging, kissing, all sorts of excitement. The barges were also firing off fireworks, so it was an absolutely wonderful visual display.

After getting separated from the group because of the huge crowd of people, I made my way back to the apartment to enjoy a few glasses of Blue label. For those of you that don't know, Johnnie Walker Blue label is an expensive, delicious blended scotch whiskey which is worth upwards of $250 USD if bought at full price, but I got it duty-free! I only drink it on special occassions, both of which have been when I am traveling overseas.

North Sydney