First day in Honduras

Yuscaran Travel Blog

Yuscaran

My trip got off to a bad start, I had a delayed flight out of Denver so ended up sleeping in the airport from 20:00 to 3:00. Then I had to change plans in Houston and was off to Tegucigalpa! I decided to start my spring break early by having a mimosa on the plane with breakfast. Unfortunately they had no sparkling wine so I opted for chardonnay...this is not a good mix with orange juice....seriously, disgusting.

When landing in Tegucigalpa you feel like you might die. Luckily the people sitting next to me warned me that "it looks like you are going to crash, but you don't". Teguc is located in the midst of mountains so you come down over the mountains and drop down rather steeply onto the landing strip.

I did not know this until later but Tegucigalpa's airport is one of the most dangerous in the world. Not because of crime, but because the runway is 1/6 the size of a normal runway, so you either make it or you don't!

My friend, Bridget, met me at the airport and decided where we would go first. Another Peace Corps volunteer lives in Yuscaran so we decided to go stay with her for the night. We went to a grocery store and stocked up on food and then hopped on the bus towards Yuscaran. My friend forgot to mention that the bus didn't stop in Yuscaran and that we would have to jalone (Honduran word for hitchhike) to rest of the way. She told me she did it all the time so it was no big deal. We waited. and waited. and waited some more. A few cars passed but no one stopped.

Yuscaran cemetary
Oh and it was dark by now. Finally, a Coke (the drink, not the drug... I think) truck stopped and offered us a ride an hour up the mountain to Yuscaran. We got in the front of the truck, oddly, with a Honduran on each side of us. The guys spoke no english and I only speak a little spanish, but luckily my friend was almost fluent! I have never seen a truck drive so slow in my entire life! We were driving up a mountain road, inching along, the truck making weird noises, meanwhile I am wondering if the guys are going kill us and throw our bodies off the side of the road! My friend and I kept looking at eachother saying "I'm scared. What should we do?" We were in the middle of nowhere so there were not many options! Fortunately for us, the guys had good intentions and got us safely to Yuscaran.
Pobrecitos!

The first thing I wanted to do when I got to the other PCV's house was sit down, have a beer, and reflect on the fact that I was still alive. And that is exactly what we did.

The next morning we went for a walk around Yuscaran. It is a small colonial-style mountain town with cobblestone streets. It seemed like a quiet place; had maybe 3 restaurants, a few pulperias, 2 bars, 2 hotels, and a Guaro factory. First we toured the Guardo factory. It is an alcohol made from sugar cane, much like rum, but worse! Right across the street from the Guaro factory were 3 caged lions. Why on earth would this small town need 3 lions kept in a small cage?? For the circus of course! The huge, massive Yuscaran circus for the maybe 2,000 people that live there. Had I not wanted to wreak havoc on the town I probably would have set the lions free!

Later that day it was time to head off to my friend's site in San Isidro. Time for another jalone! The next one was much better than the first...

Reephboy says:
You so rock for visiting her. It feels really good for PCVs to get to show their friends what they are doing and where they are living. I only ever had a couple of friends come see me in 4 years.
Posted on: Feb 01, 2008
Pobrecitos!
Guaro factory where they still lab…
Guaro factory where they still la…
Rooftops of Yuscaran