First day back in Uruguay!

Salto Travel Blog

 › entry 86 of 177 › view all entries
Looking across the river from Salto towards Argentina.

After 21 years, it´s finally happened - Melissa is back in Uruguay!  Been excited about this for a long time, and very much looking forward to seeing my Uruguayan family again on Monday.  The bus trip to Salto was pretty good, very impressed with Flecha Bus - the bus was spotless, the service excellent, we were well fed (including a hot meal in the evening) and if not for having every bag on the bus searched at the border we would have been on time!  The border crossing is actually on the Uruguayan side of the river near Paysandu, and both countries complete their formalities together.  The bus was checked and we had to open our bags, although when the inspector asked if we were tourists, he waved his hand and said he wasn´t interested in us!  Think their main focus here is the quarantine aspect, because they are very much advertising what items are prohibited and there are lots of cartoon animals explaining foot and mouth!  Got to the Paysandu bus terminal at 5am, just in time to get a 5.

Salto´s main plaza, with our hero Artigas in the middle (he replaces San Martin for Argentina!)
30am bus to Salto, only about an hour and a half trip.  We went straight to the Hotel Los Cedros in the main commercial area, got a room and had a shower - so good after all that time sitting on a bus. 

Decided not to do too much today, so took quite a long walk down to the port area and back along Brasil to the bus terminal, where we got our tickets organised for Artigas on Monday (they weren´t open for sales when we were there this morning).  Had lunch back in the town centre and then back to the hotel for a siesta!  Definitely needed the sleep, and now nice and refreshed for tomorrow and our excursion to the famous thermal springs.

MAY 18:
Just a quickie entry for today, because didn´t end up going to the thermal springs.  Noel woke up with a bit of a funny tummy, so thought we´d just take it easy.  Did walk down to the port to catch the bus, but turned around and came back again!  Ended up sleeping a lot today, so all the travel must have been taking its toll on us, was good to catch up again.  Later on (Noel´s tummy feeling much better), we ate at a local parillada (BBQ) restaurant.  For just over A$20 we got a bottle of wine, half a cow and a whole chook, plus a very much needed salad and some rice.  The food was lovely, although the meat a little tough, but a very nice way to pass a couple of hours.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Looking across the river from Salt…
Looking across the river from Sal…
Salto´s main plaza, with our hero…
Salto´s main plaza, with our her…
photo by: Lasttraveller