Day 3 Sightseeing

London Travel Blog

The Albert Memorial in Kensington Garden
After our late night with LOTS of wine, we had a bit of a slow start on Sunday morning.  It was another surprisingly gorgeous day though, so we set back out for more walking.  We actually walked all the way around Kensington Garden and Hyde Park in search of Speaker's Corner (which wasn't nearly as active as I've seen it in the past) and the Kensington Garden sidewalk art Market (open every Sunday, and stretching  for about a mile!).  The artists were great and I ended up with a nice piece to add to my collection of local art - my favorite souvenier when I travel abroad!

Walking back through the parks, we passed by the Princess Diana memorial (very peaceful, and quite powerful) and then over to catch the train to the South Bank/Southwark/Tate Modern area.  Again, I'm not much for museums, and am definitely not a huge fan of modern art, but I highly recommend the Tate Modern if you have some time in London.
Elia, Heather and me in Hyde Park
  The structure is a former power station on the south bank of the Thames, directly across the river from St. Paul's.  It is linked to the city by a fabulous footbridge, and the views of the city - especially at night - are spectacular.

The Tate Modern is quite large - seven floors - but most of the art exhibits are housed on two floors.  It took us a little over an hour to see pretty much everything that was free.  (There are two special exhibits there right now that require purchased tickets.)  After seeing the galleries, we headed up to the top floor to check out the cafe, and discovered a little gem that I will certainly visit again!  There is an wine bar and restaurant that lends dramatic views of the city in a very modern and hip setting.  I always enjoy discovering the must-see bars in each city, and this one will be added to my London list!  (Odd that it happens to be in a museum, but it was great nonetheless!)

We exited towards the river to discover an enormous spider sculpture (part of the Louis Bourgois exhibit).
The Princess Diana Memorial
  VERY cool, and made for interesting views of St. Paul's at night!  We headed back over the bridge and made our way to St. Paul's... So beautiful at night.  Since it was Sunday, we were able to sit in on part of the services.  Regardless of your religious beliefs, I highly recommend visiting this spectacular church!

We planned on a pretty low-key night, so ended up looking for a quiet dinner in Notting Hill.  It was VERY quiet over there by 9pm, and was actually pretty difficult to find a place to eat!  We asked a local for a recommendation and were guided to The Market Thai Restaurant (240 Portobello Rd).  Funny enough, it turns out I've been there, many years ago, with a friend who was living in Notting Hill at the time!  It's a cute place with decent food, though I was actually not pleased with my choice.

After a nightcap at a local pub, we called it a night!
The Albert Memorial in Kensington …
The Albert Memorial in Kensington…
Awesome spider outside of the Tate