Phuket, Similan Islands, Phi Phi Islands, Bangkok

Phuket Travel Blog

Cheese!

I don't think we could have planned this trip any better - well besides that fact that we would have LOVED more time in each place but staying in Phuket was perfect.  There was even an elephant in our hotel that posed when you pulled out your camera.  Perfect! I said I HAVE to see an elephant while I'm here - really wanted to ride one..maybe next time.  Phuket has beautiful beaches but also allows you easy access to even MORE beautiful beaches by speedboat.  Patong City is the big city near where we were staying in Phuket and it was seriously like Bourbon street in New Orleans.  Lined with bars and restaurants, you couldn't walk 2 feet without getting "offers" from a lady boy (tranny), super cheap drinks, and the best people watching EVER.

We just sat at a little table right on the street and tried to discretely take pictures of people walking by - every, and I mean every walk of life!  It did kind of break my heart though to see VERY young children wondering the hooker filled streets by themselves, no parents in sight, trying to sell things to you.  You just really wish there was something you could do....

Our first full day there we dove in the Similan Islands - it actually wasn't easy (or cheap) to find a day trip to the Similans.  It is kind of far for a day trip so most people spend the night but we didn't have time for that.  We spent over 2 hours driving from our hotel (starting at 6am) to the marina where we got on a speedboat for another close to 2 hours.  This time we didn't have the whole van to ourselves like in Bali.

So sad :( Patong
  Actually, every seat was full - fabulous for 2 hours.  Similans are supposed to be some of the best diving in the world and it was, totally worth it.  It was like discovery channel style - we even saw an eel named "Marlene" which was literally the size around of a human head.  Go look it up on youtube! My video of it turned out better than the picture otherwise I would have posted it.  It was a great dive and our dive guide was amazing.  It was my first dive to do a forward step entry off a boat which is a little un-nerving when you are 2 hours in a speed boat in the middle of no where and you are supposed to just drop down into the ocean - who knows what you could be stepping on top of?? I conquered my anxiety though :) There were some semi-strong currents down there on our second dive but overall it was more of a beginner dive which was nice and relaxing.
Monkey beach

The second day we went on a Phi Phi Island speedboat tour - one day of diving was plenty we just wanted to have some drinks and get sunburned.  Plus I don't think Phi Phi is the best diving out there - I heard their snorkeling is good though.  We went to Maya beach where "The Beach" was filmed and then they took us around to some other island including monkey beach - where one girl was bitten and another guy was scratched.  Seriously no matter WHAT the locals tell you DO NOT FEED THE MONKEYS!!!!!  We read that before we left and we were warned so we didn't buy in when the people taking us on the tour gave us bananas for the monkeys....same thing in Bali.  Anyways, these islands were like nothing else I'd ever seen - crystal clear water, white sands and enormous limestone rocks jutting out of the water- such a dramatic landscape!  I would tell anyone to go on that tour.

Patong

We left that Saturday for Bangkok just for an overnight stay before our flight headed home left on Sunday.  Too bad elections were the next day because there was NO alcohol being served in the entire country!  Our LAST night on vacation and we couldn't get drunk.  Too bad!  We did go to Sorocco in Bangkok though which had an amazing view of the entire city and a really cool bar that changed colors every few seconds.  We also visited the famous temples - make sure you wear clothes covering your shoulders and knees or else you will have to borrow stinky clothes like I did for a small (reimbursible deposit).  We did some serious shopping in the night markets around bangkok too  - last minute christmas shopping before we headed home.

Maya Beach
  We stayed at the Dream Hotel - not sure how much it costed but it was really cool  - I would recommend that too.

So we left the next morning to head from Bangkok to Tokyo to San Fran (where I missed my connection) ended up in LA before going back to Dallas.  It was a 34 hour journey home- and the end of my planes, trains and automobiles trip! :(

hayley499 says:
great blog ang good pics
Posted on: Aug 08, 2011
mariobernal says:
Im glad I read your post. Im going to Phuket and honestly did not know too much. I will probably be doing some of the stuff you wrote about.
Posted on: Sep 17, 2009
Demetreonics says:
Great post...on my way to Thailand tomorrow!! Only going to Phuket...but looks sick :)
Posted on: Apr 28, 2008