My weekend trip to London

London Travel Blog

Okay, so there is so much more to fill you in on the trip, but for now, I will let you know about my trip to London.

Lets start out by saying...I love it there and I want to live there!!!!  Its absolutely a great time!!!!

Okay, for real, from the start.  We arrived at Grantham train station and our train was delayed 2 hours.  But it wasnt so bad becasue we (there were 5 of us, myself, Trista, Rachel, Brittany and Amanda) talked and relaxed on the nice air conditioned train.  There were some power line problems in Grantham so all the trains were backed up.  But we finally made it!  We ran to our hotel and dropped off our stuff and took the tube (AKA the Underground, to us, the subway) to the original Hard Rock Cafe.  First, let me say, the tube is the easiest subway system I have ever seen!  They make it literally fool-proof.  Its really hard to mess it up.  There are signs everywhere.  And the trains are all built on different levels within the ground so they run every 45 to 60 seconds.  It is the most efficient process I have ever seen.  But, let me say, the underground....is REALLY DEEP UNDER GROUND.  And its hot as hell.  I think its because you are only inches away from the Earth's core!...Or its summer...either one.  The escalators are VERY STEEP!!!  and there are several which you have to take to get back up into the city.  It's very hard to look up when youre one them becasue it makes you dizzy.

Anyway, we met up with two guys from class Joe and Kevin at the Hard Rock.  We had a really nice time!  I spent 42 American dollars, but I had nachos (and other stuff) and honestly it was so awesome because I had been craving nachos since I left!  Soooo worth it.

After the Hard Rock we went to the London Eye.  It is a giant ferris wheel with these huge compartments that hold up to 25 people.  And you can see the whole city when youre inside!  It was a tight little capsule and it was almost all glass and we were up really high, so needless to say I was pretty scared, but Im really glad I did it.  I got a few pictures, but not very many--I forgot my digital camera...I took regs.

After that, we slept.  All night.  And it was beautiful.  We were sooo tired!  We got up early the next morning and hopped onto our bus tour.  Our first stop was the Tower of London which is the only castle to still stand in London.  It was used to house the royal family and for executions...and there is a chapel there as well.  Basically, it was a prision and lots of people were beheaded there.  We joked that it would be weird to be in your house and then say "Oh, honey look, someone is being executed on the front lawn again today!"  Very odd.  But our tour guilde was so funny and made the whole thing worth while.

Next, we took our free Thames River Cruise over to Big Ben, the Parliament building and Westminster Abbey.  We took pictures of Big Ben and Parliament and went over to Westminster.  We took more pics of that and then went inside.  We saw all the tombs of past kings and queens...and there is a poets corner that has the bodies of some poets and some memorials for poets.  It was really cool.  We actually saw one of Brittany's ancestors, Anne Neville, and that was really cool!

After Westminster we went to Buckingham Palace.  We actually got to go inside!!  Normally, the public would not be allowed in (obviously) but becasue the Queen is on her summer holiday it's opened up and the public is allowed to see all the state rooms!  And becasue its the Queens 80th birthday this year, her dresses were on display and some of her jewelry.  Let me just say....I wish I was a queen because then Id have a really awesome wardrobe and some seriously beautiful jewelry!  That was really awesome.

Then we ate and attempted to go on a walking tour but we were so tired we went back to the hotel and ordered harry potter for entirely too much money and watched it before bed.

So, the next day, we got up early and went to see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace.  It was okay...it was very crowded and I was a bit annoyed since we had been there since 10am and it didnt actually happen until 1130am and then wasnt even over until 1215.  But after that we ate, walked through Covet Garden and then off to THE BRITISH MUSEUM!  This is what I have been waiting for!  And let me tell you, it was worth it, but there was DEFINITELY not enough time.  (But dont fret my friends, I bought the guidebook and Im going to make you look at allllllllllllllllllllllllllll the pictures and listen to me tell you alllllllllllllllllllllll the commentary when I get home.)

After that we bought some goodies for all our families (oh I got some good stuff--but now Im broke, so dont ask for anything anymore because I dont have any more money to buy you guys stuff...I have to nurish myself while we are away for the next 3 days in Whitby).  So then we went to the British Library and saw the Magna Carta, orginial manuscripts of Beowulf, Finnigan's Wake, Illuminated manuscripts, the canterbury tales...and all kinds of stuff I cant remember.  That was really cool.  Then we ate our final dinner and came home.  It was such a blast.  There are so many more details, but I cant fit them all in.  I will definitely update you the best I can when I get home.  For now, I have to go catch up on work and pack for Whitby.  I will be there from Tuesday until Thursday, so send me messages to come back to.  They are always apprecaited.  My brother wrote me one telling me about how cool he is and I thought that was really amusing!

I miss you all so much!  Write when you can!

L

PS--De, if you are reading this I got your most recent email and I will write you when I get back later in the week.

jbulava says:
PS, I spell things incorrectly when I'm tired and it's late and travbuddy doesn't let you delete or edit.
jbulava says:
Ok, I think I beat Cole here because tomorrow I'm moving into my apartment in the 102 degree heat. Hopefully it won't be too bad...I'll make sure the AC is on, but we also have to pick up and move furniture from IKEA. Also, I hope you were able to avoid stray monkeys in London. I heard something on the radio about monkeys escaping the London Zoo. Lastly, I'll spare you details but I wouldn't to let you know my dad had his surgery today and everything went alright. He's recovering now :-) Talk to you soon!
haushinka742 says:
hey chica. i'm glad you're having such an awesome and educational trip! i read the part about the tube to my british boss and she thought it was funny. it is rrrrlll hot here man. like crazy hot. i am going to a baseball game w/ bdg tomorrow night and i hope we don't die. miss you! thanks for giving me something to read at work!!! love.
London General Tips & Advice review
Although to take the bus tour and do all the sights is expensive its so worth it!  London is beautiful and although its big you can travel a lot … read entire review
London