Miraflores

Lima Travel Blog

Parque del Amor

I am in a restaurant called Las Brujas de Cachiche in the upscale Miraflores district in Lima. Allegedly it is one of the best in the country. I'm here to eat until either my stomach or my Credit Card gives in.

I'm in Lima for about 15 hours, so I have time to check out some of the sites and enjoy some of the cuisine. Lima is rather large, taking the taxi about 30 minutes to arrive in Miraflores from the airport. My first stop was an open-air mall on the cliffs overlooking the beaches called Largomar. The mall has a Hooters (strangely enough), a sushi bar, martini bar and many happening cafes along with many upscale stores, all with great views.

Back to the restaurant.

Just plain good
  The food is extraordinary. The first monster plate of ceviche is served with a spoon as you are to load up on the special “tiger’s milk” sauce with every spoonful of glorious chunks of fresh seafood.  I’m stuffed but going for my second entrée – a highly recommended “Lomo Saltado.” The beer also keeps on coming. The place is busy with business locals having lunch. A man on a piano tickles the ivories in the background.  Not bad at all…

Everyone is decked out in their work suits or at least trousers and button up shirts while I sit in a dirty t-shirt with a skull print, unwashed jeans and running shoes.

After lunch I walked around Miroflores and stumbled onto a park called “Parque del Amor.” The whole area is very similar to La Jolla in California – cliffs, beaches, condos and restaurants.

Cool bar
Lots of people parasailing.

Back in the airport in Lima I find out that all connecting flights in Atlanta have been cancelled. It is going to be a long trip back home…

A word of advice: If you do decide to do a little adventure travel as this one, I guarantee you this: your flight will be delayed, you will never get what you were promised by any agency or pay for, you will get food poisoning, your tent will leak, your plans will change because of weather, you will at some point get ripped off, your English speaking guide will speak little English, there will be car trouble, bus trouble, donkey trouble, hotel trouble, bug trouble, little sleep, lack of understanding and your vegetarian meal will be chicken instead of beef… It’s Ok, there is nothing you can do about it. The only thing you can control is your attitude towards it.

One of our group members cried herself to sleep the first night of the hike wondering how she could have made the mistake of thinking she would be able to accomplish such a hike if the first day she nearly passed out. After the last day, her and her companions had already made up their mind that they wanted to do another multi-day hike during their Peru trip.
13,907 km (8,641 miles) traveled