The night before

Phoenix Travel Blog

Packing Light. Notice the Gator hat — must represent, even in Peru.

So… long time, first time — Traveler, Blogger that is. Night before the long travel day. Went to work, ate at a nice restaurant with the girlfriend (at Delux), had some nice red wine and left the packing and organizing for the last possible minute. Taking a single backpack filled with Cliff Bars, some clothing, hiking boots, a rain jacket, camera, small tripod and a couple of books. Among those Peru from Lonely Planet, a Machu Picchu guide and some light reading for the planes Blood Meridian by McCarthy.  Also, some essentials like a roll of toilet paper, Advil, duct tape, flashlight, extra batteries, some anti-diarrhea pills, a smaller backpack and my MP3 player. No cell phone, useless in the area.

The plan is simple; fly tomorrow morning (the 10th) from Phoenix to Atlanta, since I am flying Delta. Go from Atlanta directly to Lima, Peru. Take a long nap (about 4 hours) at the Lima Airport (Jorge Chaves International) and take another flight  (from a Salvadorian airline named Taca) into Cuzco. Some 20 Hours later I am (hope to be) in the Sacred Valley.

That is it, that is the plan, I hope to blog back in with how the plan was executed.

Side note: I need this little vacation. I am exhausted, physically and mentally. Not from anything else but routine, it breaks me down. I feel a little like Atlas who was condemned, by that bastard Zeus, to stand at the western edge of the earth and hold up the Sky on his shoulders. Melodramatic you say?

Packing Light. Notice the Gator ha…
Packing Light. Notice the Gator h…
Phoenix