Central Park

New York Travel Blog

View from the Pond
Back from our weekend in Florida and it had gotten pretty cool in New York City. Still sunshine but not as hot as the weeks before. Since we only passed by Central Park when we went to the Museum of Natural History we decided to pay the Park another visit.
So another one hour subway ride from Brooklyn to upper Manhattan on the F train. We got off at Lexington Ave and 63rd street.  We crossed the street to get to Central Park. Finally there we walked past a statue of Shakespeare and along an alley of trees, went by a stage for outdoor plays that are held here in the summertime. Saw a bunch of people flying by on roller blades, which you can rent somewhere.
After taking a couple of wrong turns and walking around in circles we found the pond.
The Pond in Central Park, good for a boat ride
First we took a few pictures from the top looking down at the pond and that beautiful fountain that you see in so many movies. Then we walked along the edge of the water and noticed that there were people on boats. My hubby "the New Yorker" had no idea they rented out boats here. So we got a boat. Rowing was not his strong suit either. So I did most of the work while he took some horrible pictures of me which I will not post here. Just take my word for it. hahaha
After a while I noticed that there was turtles sitting all around the edge of the water, in trees, on rocks, sticking their necks in the air to catch the last few warm rays of light of the season. That's when I took the camera back over and took some decent pictures of the surrounding buildings peeking over the tree line and of course the little turtles too.
hehe
We had the boat for a full hour and didn't make it all the way to the end. Probably because I was a little rusty on my rowing skills as well and we wasted at least 15 minutes when my hubby was trying to turn the boat around. *hahaha*
All I can say is, you wouldn't believe how peaceful it is in Central Park. You can barely hear the traffic that is all around it. You have a great view of the surrounding buildings as for example the Essex House.
We took a different path out of the park and came out on the other side at the Columbus Circle. Hopped on the subway and went back to Brooklyn. So we really only saw the lower part of Central Park on this occasion. There's lots more to see, so I will be back soooooon! :-)
View from the Pond
The Pond in Central Park, good for…
The Pond in Central Park, good fo…
the popular fountain