1st day in Manhattan

New York Travel Blog

Washington Square Park
Ah, my first day to Manhattan and I am as excited as a kid that gets to go to Disney world. My husband had told me so much about this place for the past 3 years and finally I got to see it in person.  We took the subway from Brooklyn to  Manhattan and got out at West 4th street and Washington Square Park. This is where the big arch is located that they always show on "Friends". I know I'm such a geek.
From here we walked along Fifth Avenue towards the Flatiron building, which my hubby always calls the "gridiron" building for some reason. I had to double check before I wrote this down so I wouldn't get it wrong, after all the confusion. Unfortunately one side was completely covered in scaffolding due to renovations.
Grace Church
  Along the way past Madison Square Park we wanted to get out of the sun, it was 3 pm and hot, so we decided to check out the Museum of Sex at 27th street and Fifth Avenue. We were not impressed and the tickets were $13.50. Not worth the money if you ask me. But hey, this is New York City and the prices have to reflect that, I guess. So I think we spent a total of 30 minutes inside this museum.
We kept on walking towards the Empire State building which you can see way before you actually reach it. We bought our tickets at 3:50 pm for $14 a pop and waited in line to get on the elevator. We finally reached the top and headed for the observatory. The view was amazing. You can really see a LOT from up here. I even spotted Coney Island in the distance. Statue of Liberty, Central Park, etc are all pretty easy to find.
Empire State Building
We took a few pictures of each side and headed back down. From here we made our ay to past Bryant Park, now walking on Sixth Avenue and then turned on 42nd to get to Times Square.
Times Square is amazing. I was just starring up at all the billboards and hubby had to keep me from walking into polls and people. We snapped a bunch of pictures and then headed for our last stop on 49th Street and Rockefeller Plaza.
We saw the "Scatting rink" which at this time of year was turned into a patio with lots of tables and chairs for the restaurants. We had a little snack here and then walked around some more past Radio City Hall and St. Patrick's Cathedral before finally going back to Brooklyn.
Wow, what a day!! From 4th street all the way to 52nd street in flip flops. My feet will never forgive me. :-)
missandrea81 says:
Thank you all so much. My travels have kept me from signing in for a few days. What a great surprise. I'm glad so many of you enjoyed it.
Posted on: May 25, 2012
monky says:
Congrats on your featured blog Andrea! nice blog I love NYC!
Posted on: May 20, 2012
zenthoughts says:
yes. walking is the best way to enjoy ny. grew up in ny but i am enjoying the city much more as a visitor, mainly walking around different places on each visit.
Posted on: May 20, 2012