Day 1 - Getting to know the city

San Francisco Travel Blog

Our first day in San Francisco was fantastic!  We took an early flight out of O'Hare and arrived in San Francisco at 9:45 am.  It was great to have a full day, even if it meant leaving the house at 3:30 am...ouch.  During our cab ride to the hotel, we saw a big beautiful bridge that looked like the Golden Gate Bridge, except it was grey.  My friend & I exchanged looks of confusion...we weren't sure if this was it, and if it was, why wasn't it orange?!?!  Later, we found out that that was actually the Bay Bridge haha.  I was relieved because it would have been extremely disappointing to have my first moment with such a famous landmark be clouded in uncertainty!  After checking into our hotel, we strolled along the wharf, taking in the sights.

This was my first trip to California, and it was a struggle to restrain myself from skipping with joy!  We were walking along when we heard the sea lions at Pier 39.  It was really cool to see them, but they sure do smell bad!  After leaving the sea lions, I finally spotted the bridge.  It's beautiful!  We ate lunch at Boudin, which was pretty crowded.  The sourdough bread was amazing!  Ghirardelli Square was our next stop.  On our way there, we ran into the Bushman!  The Bushman sits behind a bunch of tree branches that he is holding, and jumps out at innocent people walking by.  It's pretty entertaining to watch, but probably not so much fun if you are the one being scared.  Luckily, we spotted him early and kept our distance.
  Maybe next time Bushman!  When we arrived at Ghirardelli Square, we were too full to indulge in any ice cream or chocolate, but it was fun to browse through the shops.  We spent some time in a really cute card shop called Lola.  Moving on, we headed over to Lombard Street.  The line to drive down the curved section was ridiculously long.  I would hate to live in that area of the city.  Some people were hanging out of their moon roofs, videotaping the ride.  Others hired cabs to take them through.  Coit Tower was the final destination of the day.  Honestly, I was pretty disappointed with it.  For some reason the stairs were closed, so everyone had to wait in a long line to take the elevator.  The views were nice, especially since we were there at sunset, but I was expecting more.  I think we only spent about 10 minutes at the top.  We headed back to the Wharf afterwards and ate dinner at Boudin...yes, we had 2 meals in one day there.  The bread is just that good.  Exhausted from being up for over 24 hours, we headed back to our hotel early where we relaxed in the hot tub and called it an early night.

bkretzer says:
Great Blog! You write very well. I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip. I'm looking forward to my trip to S/F (whenever that might be)
Posted on: Jan 10, 2008
San Francisco Hotels & Accommodations review
The Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf was a wonderful hotel! The staff was incredibly helpful during our stay. Every time we passed any type of staff member … read entire review