Natural Habitat

Port Douglas Travel Blog

cassowary the endangered bird unique to Australia

Today we were going to have an easy day and just hang out in Port Douglas. My son wanted to have a swim in the beautiful pool of our hotel, The Peppers Beach club . The hotel had one large pool with a sandy bottom and sand laid outside the edge to form a beach like pool, after about an hour of swimming ( playing) we went back to our room and changed to go to The Natural Habitat Bird Park.

We caught the local bus that, runs every 20 minutes around town and were lucky enough to have one come virtually straight away. The bus makes a route to some of the larger hotels in town such as the Sheraton Mirage Resort, and also stops at some of the local attractions. It took about 15 minutes by bus to the Natural Habitat.

The Natural Habitat is famous for giving the tourists an opportunity to have breakfast with the birds or to have lunch with the Lorokeets.

my wife's best friend the cockateal
We had arrived around lunch time but we didn't feel like a BBQ, so we just paid the entrance fee  but ,the BBq only costs an extra 10 dollars per person.We just bought sandwiches , crossoints and a couple of beers and that also came to the same cost as the BBQ, so i would probably reccomend that.

The habitat has 3 areas that you can walk around on the boardwalks, the rainforest, representing the wet tropsics of Northern Queensland, where we could see the Southern Cassowary, the endangered bird that we saw in the wild yesterday.In the rain forest area it was here that a little cockateal became very attatched to my wife and perched itself on her hand, for about 20 minutes it enjoyed having its head and belly scratched. My son got very jealous at the attention that the bird was getting, especially since it didn't want to have anything to do with him.

that bird is eating a steak

Another bird that we saw in the rainforest which, was the highlight of the day, was this large bird which, had stolen a steak from the lunch area. We saw it fly in with this gigantic steak in its mouthand land right beside us, hoping that it would not be seen by any other birds as it picked at the steak and slowly started breaking pieces of it and eating it. I was lucky to capture such a great shot on my camera.

The other areas in the park are the wetlands where, you can see other birds in their natural enviroment that is also very important to our eco system. They also had the drylands which, was the area where you could see kangaroos. We didn't spend much time here as we had done that, when we were in Merimbula but in this area they did have the crocodile enclosure which, looked much better than in Merimbula, here than had a 4.

5 metre crocodile and it was just sun baking out in the sun so we got a really close look at them.

They also have a koala enclosure and at the time the sanctuary keeper was there so we could pat it and get our picture taken. This koala was the most active I have ever seen and the keeper was very informative. he told us that koalas sleep on average 20 hours a day because of the toxin in the leaves. I knew they slept a hell of a lot but not that much. There are hundreds of different euculyptist leaves in Australia but the koala can only eat six. By the time we had finished with the koala it was getting towards closing time so we decided to leave.

cassowary the endangered bird uniq…
cassowary the endangered bird uni…
my wifes best friend the cockateal
my wife's best friend the cockateal