Great Barrier Reef Low Isles

Port Douglas Travel Blog

Today we left the hotel at 9am to go to Low Isles, the closest island to Port Douglas where you can experience the beautiful Great Barrier Reef, located only 13 kilometres away. While walking to the Marina we met Jay and Banita again with their daughter Sunday, they were to spend the day on the 4 Mile beach.

We got to the marina at 9am and got our tickets at the QuickSilver's ticket centre. They are the largest company to take people out to the reef. The boat was by far the largest on the marina. We  boarded the boat and decided to get some seats on the outside deckat the rear of the boat. A bit of a warning if you do get seasick do not sit inside the cabin as this is where most people actually vomitt.

From the look of tour brochure and the boat I thought that the boat was a yacht with its mast but we quickly found out that it had an engine as we departed at 10am. The boat took around an hour to get out to the reef and while on board they gave us some information about the area. Low Isles was named by Captain James Cook  in 1770. Low Isles is surrounded by 55 acres of coral reef comprising of 150 species of hard coral and dominated by 15 species of soft coral.

When the boat arrived the 3 of us were feeling well so we jumped on a smaller boat to transefer us over to the island. QuickSiver is only 1 of 4 companies that have a license to moor at Low Isles.Having a 4 year old son I was unable to scuba dive but I had the pleasure of teaching my son how to snorkel.

low isles
Today we had to wear lycra suits to prevent us from stingers(box jelly fish) thatmay be on the water in the Summer months of Northern Queensland.

After putting on our snorkel and fins my son said he looked like a penguin. Low Isles is really good for people who can't swim wellor have young children because the reef virtually comes all the way into the island and QuickSilver also provides a life saver. With my son holding our hands we ventures out in the water where we saw quite a lot of fish especially angel fish, damsel fish( a fish with zebra like black and white stripes) sweet lip fish which is a fish with bright orange lips which is easy to tell how it got its name and other fish that I could not identify unfortunately we didn't see any turtles or NEMO (clowm fish)

My son did quite well snorkelling for the first time, the only real trouble he would have was the snorkel would occasionally fill up with water. While being transferred back to the boat a family said they saw a reef shark unfortunately, I didn't get to see it. Back on board we had a buffet lunch which consisted of chicken,shrimps, slices of cut meat and a salad which was quite nice.

After lunch we had a choice of either going for another snorkel, a glassbottom boat ride or an eco tour with the light house keeper. we decided to go for another snorkel but we could only manage another hour before it was time to head back to Port Douglas. We had a great day and would reccomend the QuickSilver tour to the Great Barrier Reef.

Port Douglas