A wander around

El Chalten Travel Blog

Mirador on walk to Lago Torre

It's midnight and the wind is howling outside, a real blustery night rattling the doors, the roof and anything else not nailed down. I awake at 9 with good intentions of going for a long hike, but after failing to find my waterproof jacket, i tipped everything on to the floor and then pulled my back putting it all back in my rucksack, only for the waterproof to be in the bottom of the bag where it has been all trip !!!

I buy some empaladas (small cornish pasties) filled with mince meat and set off for a walk, the ridge walk is closed due to the strong wind so I opt for a scenic stroll above the river to lago Torre.

At the start of the trail you get the do's and don'ts of the park, I liked the puma part, "if you see a puma you are lucky" really. "Don't travel alone" okay now nervous, "make yourself big and throw rocks at it" so you have time to find a rock, aim and throw and score a direct hit at South Americas premier big cat whose been stalking you for the last ten minutes, i don't think so !!!

So the walk began in sunshine but it was very very windy,  the river fed from the glacier was fast flowing and milky green colur, we walked through forest and rocky outcrops, perfect puma stalking grounds i decided. The first part is a steep climb up to 600mts when you reach a Mirador with stunning views of the rain and cloud that was drifting in. In the distance I could see the bottom of the glacier but not the peak of cerro torre. A rainbow ran over the river giving at least one good view.

After waiting ten minutes the cloud did not improve so I decided against pushing on, a walk in the mist and cloud is no fun and my back was still hurting. Arrived back in town without having to use my rock throwing skills. At which point it chucked it down, got soaked and stopped for a drink and spagetti.

I retrieved my bag from the hostel and walked all the way acroos town to where the bus was picking us up, there was some familiar faces in the youth hostel where the bus stops so had abeer and waited for 6pm.

The journey to El Calafate was along a beautiful green lake and you could see clearly the glacier which fed it. The sun doesn't set until 10.30 this far south and with Argentina daylight saving time we had good views as we travelled.

Arrived in El calafate, took a taxi up the hill to our hostel which was very nice and collapsed into bed.

Ricardo Crispio

Still awe struck by Green lakes and rivers after all these years !!

El Chalten