I get Around

Santa Cruz Travel Blog

8 am seems to arrive luidcriously early, anyway breakfast is provided and we are on the bus for the long trek south. it is 700km to Pucon our next overnight stop. We stop in Santa Cruz to visit the Museo de Cochagua, we are in the finest wine making district of the whole of Chile so do we go to vinyards, no, we go to a museum. Tired and with no English subtitled exhibits I resist the urge to try and translate things. back on the bus and sleep is impossible, so I put the mp3 player on and doze.

The highlight of the trip is a fire from a farmers field that has got out of control and is burning viciously at the side of the motorway, a sudden gust and flames sweep across the road in front of us, our driver waits and then makes a dash for it as the wind blows them the other way.  There is also a bit of slalom rthrough some cones. Most of the scenery is vinyards and rolling green hills as we get south it gets overcast and we arrive in Pucon very late. We visit the treking office to check our clothing as tomorrow we are volcano climbing !! We dump our stuff and as a group go for Pizza. Partying is curtailed at 11.30 as I choose sleep over beer to prepare for tomorrows stroll. Stefan the German is given all organisational responsibility for setting alarm clocks, they really do relish the organising.

Ricardo Crispio

Keeping Anglo German relations in harmony.

Santa Cruz