Volcanoed

Pucon Travel Blog

Mapuche figure

It's 6.30 we are awake, it's cloudy and our volcano trip is unlikely to happen, however we still have to drive up to the chair lift where the inevitable decision is made, dissapointed at having to get up early, however walking in cloud for 3 hours with no view is not fun and can be done easier and cheaper in Scotland even in the summer!!

Back to the hostel and back to bed for a couple of hours. Pucon is a typical ski resort town, numerous restaurants, tour shops, souvenirs etc, it is situated on Lago Villarrica, the 2840 metre high Volcano Villarrica towers above the town hiding in the cloud all day. I resist the tacky boat trip on the lake but can't resist a few goes of roulette in the casino.

In the evening we visit some thermal pools at Thermas Los Pozones, very hot we have a beer in the pools and stay for a couple of hours. The clouds have gone and the stars are bright from the pools, I reaquaint myself with the constellations we were told about in Vicuna two weeks ago. Back at the hostel we get the BBQ going, it's about 11 and several of us are aiming for volcano attempt number 2 tomorrow. Some massive steaks, chicken and chorizo is put on the BBQ,, more beer is consumed and our preparations for tomorrow are not as professional as the previous evening. At 1.30 I call it a night, Stefan with German precision has wound and set the alrm clocks.

Ricardo Crispio