Sunny Valpo

Valparaiso Travel Blog

Asenscor Artilliar

Breakfast as provided by the Patiperro (it means traveller) Team was excellent, tea, juice a mix of scrambled egg and tomato, numerous slices of hot bread and jam, and a toasted ham sandwich. The early cloud was burning off so a change into shorts, sun glasses and going for the "look at me, i'm a tourist" effect. Within seconds of exiting the hostel I am approached by my Dad, well he was 80+, bit shorter than me and quite insistent i spoke to him. A quick "No habla espanol" done the trick, he is probably still perplexed why I wouldn't do his shopping !

What a difference a day makes, today the city gleams, the colured houses seem brighter, there is a happier feeling to the town. I take a walk passed the port to Ascensor (that's a funicular fot those not paying attention)  Artilleria built 1893.

View from Mirador
This offers wonderful views of the city from Paeso 21 de mayo. There are two miradores (look outs) either side of the top of the ascensor.

I take a walk around the Navy Museum and discover that in the Chilean struggle for indepence it was a British Naval Officer Lord Cochrane employed by the Chilian patriots who was instrumental in defeating the Spanish Navy. The museum is worth a visit and most exhibits have an English explanation.

A wander to see ascensor Villaseca it was built across the winding steet below, down to the harbour and I take a boat trip around the harbour where you can see the truescale of the city. Each hill has it's own identity, a church, a long main road going up to the summit of the hill and the houses perched on the sides, each hill mostly independent of it's neighbour until nearing the port.

View from Bar
Even half way up they are not connected to each other. I take the ascensor up to Concepcion go in the restaurant overlooking the bay order a beer and watch the world go by. The staff are concerned i'm in the sun without shade, I'm not bothered a bit, a beer, a comfy chair, 80's music being played in the restautrant, a panarmoc view who needs a parasol !!

More meanderings around the streets and I take one last trip today up Ascensor Espiritu Santo to Bellavista. home to artists and numerous murals. Not that the whole town is a street artists dream, every bare piece of concrete is a canvas to the locals.

If you ever get a chance to visit come and enjoy, just make sure the sun is shining !!!!

My Favourite street Art Photo