Stone Heads

Easter Island Travel Blog

More Heads

A leisurely breakfast chatting to Bjorne the german. I decide to hire a bike and go for a cycle.  Another long slog along the runway, (beside you realise not actually on it), First stop was Vinapu a few fallen down statues, then along the western side of the island following the coast to Vaihu, the terrain is quite undulating and the granite outcrops of rock and sparse vegetation on the grassy hillsides gives a strange resemblance to Dartmoor. Assisted by the numerous wild horses roaming around. The coast absorbs the waves and the cliffs are broken down, old lava flows extend into the sea at numerous places, and the basalt becomes porous and sharp.  After an hour's cycling I arrive at Rano Raraku, where the stone for the moai was quarried from the hillside. There are lots of heads here, some burried in the ground, others have fallen over and some are still in the cliff, carved but not removed.

9 of 15
It is a strange site a hillside with thirty or so heads scattered across it.  All the expressions are different and there was obviously a real art and skill to the carvings. I took lots of photos. back on the bike to Ahu Tongariki where 15 statues are in a long line. They were repositioned after the tsunami of 1960 knockered them down. 1 statue is left lying down and the stone "top knots" which are red in colour and sit on some of the statues heads are also in a line. 1 statue has his "hat" on. It's an impressive site 15 statues about 20 feet high all aligned on a long plinth. I take photos from all angles to get the best view. It's why I came all the way to Easter Island and I am not dissapointed.

The cycle back is into the head wind, I'm not looking forward to the 18KM back !! I interupt a film crew filming the wild horses who ask me to stop when I'm cycling up hill !!! I stop and have a lie down half way back as I'm worn out and drunk all my water. With 5Km to go I'm faced by a steep hill so get off and walk but enjoy the last 4km downhill into the village or capital Hanga Roa.

More dancing and monologues at the festival, So i go back to the B&B early, ruing the fact I hired a bike for two days !!!

Ricardo Crispio

Curious
Curious
Me and the best poker player ever.
Me and the best poker player ever.
Easter Island