Middle of Nowhere the navel of the World

Easter Island Travel Blog

Lake at Orango

A brief update for the Sunday. I am up at 6 for my flight to Easter Island, nearest inhabitable island Pitcairn 1700 km away. The orginal settlers called in the Navel of the World, (Maybe they thought a small island could rule three quarters of the world. Ah but you'd have to be British to do that !!) The languague is Polynesian giving it a huge geographical spread of one languague from hawaii in the north down to NZ and the various pacific islands.

Anyway We fly lan Chile who are superb, and we land at the safest airport in the world, based on the fact, no high mountains nearby and that it is about 5 miles long. The americans wanted somewhere to land the space shuttle in an emergency.

Islands off Orango
 I arrive and am given a flower garland, I would of prefered a cold beer after a five hour flight but hey a flower garland it is. I'm met by the owner of the B&B and we are given a guided tour of the high street. I go for an afternoon stroll up to a volcanic crater, calderra if my geography o level serves me right. It's a long walk, as you walk passed the airport and most of the runway, a path heads uphill through a small wood and then up to the lip of the crater, the view was just incredible, it took my breath away. The crater is a mile round and is filled at the bottom by a lake covered in moss. The blues and greens are really vivid. I walk around the edge of the crater stopping every hundred yards to take in the view. At the far end the craters outside wall drops down to the dark blue pacific ocean and you stand there realising you are in the middle of the largest ocean in the world miles and miles from any other land in every direction.
Me !!!!!!!
The crater is called Rano Kau.

On the left of the crater is a national park. It was an old village called Orango and it was where the cult of the bird man lived. There are old stone huts and you can see the three off shore islands where men would swim to to collect an egg of the sooty tern and their clan would rule the island for the year.  I walked back around the crater and really didn't want to walk back it was so incredible.

In the evening i had dinner watching the sun set over the ocean and went to the first night of the festival. The band was good the dancing was good, and so were the monologues of the body painted performers who I believe were taking the elements as their inspiration. This was all in polynesian so had no idea what they were saying. Anyway after the 6th act I went and had a beer and watched from the distance. A great day on my first day in Easter Island.

Easter Island