Don't cry for me Marge and Tina

Bariloche Travel Blog

Scared on ski lift !!!!!!
One of the classic Goodies sketches from their superb show mimiced the hit song from the musical Evita setting it in a supermarket check out with the two till girls called marge and Tina. So here I am in Argentina pronounced Are-chen-tina. Bariloche is fabulous, it has an excellent setting comparable to Queenstown in NZ. The sunny is shining and the Andes stretch beyond the huge lake of Lago Nahuel Huapi, snow capped peaks in the distance, island in the lake nearer and the tree line goes right down to the lake shore. The town is incredibly German. In design, looks and feel. They have chocolate shops, photographers with St Bernards with barrels around their neck. German Cake for sale, and completly touristy. And I love it !!! I have a wander along the lake, take photos of the cathedral which is northern european in design rather than spanish.
My Dinner companion
In too the town square with it's wooden chalets and a brilliant staue of a man on a horse with the horse looking completely fed up rather than noble.
I have a breakfast of chips, fried eggs and empaladas and tea of course. I take the bus out of town 20km to a ski resort of Cathedral, from their I take a chair lift thankfully this one has a bar to strap you in to the top of Cerro Cathedral (40 peso). The views from the top are incredible
 you can see the snow topped Volcano Tronador 3440mts and way back in the distance Volcano Osorno in Chile. The islands in the lake are easily seen as are numerous peaks of the Andes stretching northwards. I spend an hour exploring the summit and then an hour sitting on the sun terrace where I burn my left knee.
View from Cello Cathedral
  I take the ski lift down, wait an hour for the bus and at the bus station try to find an easy route south, there is not one. On my way back I see a tour company offering a trip along route 40 which is where I want to go, I take the details and decide an important decision like this needs to be thought about over a steak and a beer. tomorrow i will book the trip !! My dinner is spent in delightful company with the meanest stray dog i've so far encounted. Most manage that down on their luck look, which eventually you give into this one just stares very menancingly at my steak all night, it had the desired effect he got the last bit and most of the popcorn on my table. He then settled himself under my chair until I had finished, possibly hoping I would doze off and he may get a leg bone. He refused to make any contribution to the bill at which point our friendship soured.

Ricardo Crispio
Concerned there are many stray dogs and no stray cats.
Bariloche