Cloudy Valpa

Valparaiso Travel Blog

Entrance to Ascensor Conception

Luxury is relative, so at 8am this morning after an overnight bus from La Serena, my first hot shower for two days certainly constitued luxury.

A nap and by mid day I was ready for Valparaiso. At this point if you don't know what a funicular is, you will not inderstand a lot. There are famous funiculars in the UK at Lynton - Lynmouth, one at Bournemouth I believe and the most infamous Fat Man's Caving Club Test run Funicular in the Zambiezzi Gorge, Zambia. In Chile they are known as "Ascensors".Valpa has 14 dotted all over the city to connect the port and commerce areas to the residential hills above. Its like a cornish fishing village with houses tumbling down the steep slopes, with steps, winding roads etc only on a massive scale.

Part of the city is a UNESCO heritage site which allows the bars and restaurants to charge double of those not in this fortunate location.

An Ansenscor
However an afternoon walking around the narrow streets looking at the bay and the highly colourful houses taking the ascensors up and down was very pleasent. I also met the first person from England on my ninth day.

Partly for the benefit of my photos, I went up Ascensor Concepcion and down El Peral, located around the hills of Concepcion and Alegre. I came out at Plaza Sotomayer where the navy is based.

Being a costal resort and port the nimerous plazas are host to concerts, fairs, punch and judy etc however the lure of fresh sea food was far to good to resist so I had a massive paella for 5 pounds and tea.

Back to the Patiperro Hostel which has wondeful staff and a few drinks before retiring.

View across the hills