An unfortunate extended acquaintance with the inside of the Yalta Hotel

Yalta Travel Blog

This morning I woke up violently ill, so I stayed behind in the hotel while Lydia explored the palaces of the Yalta conference. I guess at least I have everything I could possibly need in this concete monstrosity of a hotel (a former Intourist Hotel), it has 2000 rooms, nine bars, a private beach, nightclubs, a pharmacy (probably most useful to me today), beauty salon, hairdresser, massage therapist, post office, shopping arcade and a dolphin show.

As an aside, at the pharmacy it costs 1.80 Hryvnia for a packet of 12 panadol (and this was the price in a rip-off hotel, not a local pharmacy). That translates to about 3 US cents per tablet, which shows just how much profit pharmaceutical companies make in developed countries.

Adrian_Liston says:
I get sick nearly every time I travel. I just have a sensitive stomach, unfortunately.
Posted on: Jul 05, 2008
sylviandavid says:
Wow.... flu or bad food? It's all a gamble when you are traveling isn't it?
Posted on: Jul 03, 2008
Adrian_Liston says:
It seems odd to me, but it is an old Intourist hotel so it was designed for Soviet ideas of Western tourists and now caters to rich Russians. My wife went to the variety show they hold here, and said that was spectacularly strange :)
Posted on: Jul 02, 2008