I bid you adieu

Bangkok Travel Blog

First of all, I would like to thank all of you who have taken the time to read about the bizarre and mundane adventures that have befallen me these past four months. It is surprising and a bit of an honor when you write to me responding to my blog. Thanks everyone! Based on that, I may keep up the blog every now and again to rattle off some thoughts to ponder, although I don't think that my thoughts and adventures in the States will be as enticing to read as those same thoughts that I may have had in Indochina.

Anyhoo...this is it. Im at Paige's house, where the first blog was written (and one sad one in between), sitting here writing the last of this trip's blogs.

What can I say about these four months? I have learned more about myself, the world, people, my strengths, my weaknesses, my desires, have been able to chill out and escape the American and Western fast-paced world of possessions and drive. All in all, this has been easy, and as always when I travel, I fear that the culture shock hits more upon my return to home rather than entering some new land where I have never been, don't know the language, the customs, or the currency.

Returning home means finding a job, working hard, saving up, being with friends, family, and incorporating what I have learned on the road into my daily life. I hope that my want to remain fairly free of expensive items remains in my principles for awhile. I hope that I remember not to go out to eat and have expensive drinks all the time out and about. I hope I remember to not indulge too often, so that my bank account can replenish so that I can travel again in the near future.

I have written this blog mainly for myself and my memories, but am so elated and proud and pleased that you all have been able to come along with me for some of it.

And to those of you who have not done much traveling in my life, if you'll allow me a moment to preach, then let me climb up here on my soapbox. Traveling is by far the way Ive learned best about so many things in life. Yes it is different. Yes there are sometimes language barriers. Yes sometimes there are toilets you must squat over and you should always have your own toilet paper. But...

I am earnest that (thank god), I have remained utterly safe and happy and healthy at every step. Danger lurks in our homes, our freeways, in our schools and even withing our own cells in our bodies. The world at large (of course not speaking about the entire globe) is not as scary as our media may make it seem. If we remember to smile and have faith that you will find a meal, get where you are going, and find a place to stay, there are few things to fear at all on the road. Female readers...it is okay and wonderful to travel solo! In Asia, I think it may be even easier to be a single female traveler, as the sex trade and prostitutes do no infringe on my walks through touristy streets or pubs. And if anything, I really met people at every step in the road, and rarely had a meal or much time alone. You can do it! You SHOULD do it.

So whether your comfort zone likes with a trip to a resort to start, or buying a backpack for the first time and heading out for a week, or trying camping in the States for the first time, or even going out to dinner by yourself...I challenge all of you to step outside your comfort zones. Try something new. Go somewhere you've only dreamt of. Trust me, you'll love it.

See you on home turf. And thanks again for reading.
Bolt says: