First big update

Resistencia Travel Blog

Hola mundo!

Here we go, my first bit of writing in a shiny new blog. I chose to publish it at TravBuddy, because it seems like the appropriate place. Hopefully it will turn out to be a good choice and people will actually read it. For the dutchies: sorry that I'm writing this in English. As you will understand, keeping a bilingal (?) blog is a bit too much effort, especially while travelling. Ok, so much for the boring stuff, let´s move on to the exciting travel-stories:

Wednesday 2/1, 04:00 am, BA international airport: after some delays caused by Iberia being an unorganized mess, I'm finally here! Luckily Sole was still waiting for me even though she already arrived at the airport at 2 am. I met Sole "tourguide" Aspe 2.5 years ago i Africa during a tour and we've always kept in touch.

So during my stay in BA I had a personal guide and a comfortable appartment to stay in. Perfect! After a cold shower and a few hours of sleep, she took me into the city to see some sights. Honestly, the pressing 41C heat, the noise and the smell of a huge city (12 million inhabitants) in the summer was a bit much for my sleep-deprived body that had gotten used to the dutch winter weather. A mild case of Polymorphic Light Eruption and a lot of whining by me resulted. (PMLE is a rash caused by being exposed to a lot of light while your skin hasn´t received much UV for a while.)

The next few days my impression of the city completely changed. The temperature went down, we spent the hottest part of the day in the pool and had fun going out with friends at night. It was amazing how some of the places that we revisited were so much more beautiful whe I was well rested and not over-heated. Add some tango lessons (BTW, I ROCK at tango ;) ) and some more steaks + cervezas and you are left with a really good experience. I'm not too sure about the culinairy value of intestines, though, but that´s probably just me.

But then, what next? I came to Argentina with an idea of all the places I wanted to visit (basically, all of them), but without a concrete plan. So after driving my tourguide crazy by wanting to discuss 15 different routes through the country and by drawing upon her experience, I was able to come up with a great plan. The schedule was tight, so I started by booking a flight to Puerto Iguazu to save some time. On saturday I said my host goodbye and hopped onto a flight to the waterfall capital of the world. Iguazu sits right on the border between Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil. A sudden change between basalt rock and sedimentary rock has created one of the largest waterfalls of the world: 275 falls over 2.5 km that are up to 84 meters high. An amazing sight! See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iguazu_Falls for more info. I was sceptical that these would be able to beat the sight of the Victoria Falls that I saw 2.5 years ago, but I think they did it. One warning for people wanting to see my pictures: I think I have about 80-90 of just the falls. You can and should see the falls from both the Argentinian and Brazilian side, which I did in a very Woutery way. The first day of my stay I overslept and took the bus to the falls at 2 pm. I got the last boat to the island San Martin, the very last train to the Garganta del Diablo, the last train back to the park entrance and the last bus back to town. The next day I wanted to see the Brazilian side. I spent the morning organizing the next week of my trip (more about that later) and then took the first of three buses to get to brazil. Getting into the second bus, I realized that I had (of course) forgotten my passport. So back to the hostel... I had given up hope for visiting the falls already, but luckily there was a shuttle transfer leaving the hostel just after I got back. Perfect timing once again! It only meant I didn´t have time to visit the Itaipu Dam, the largest hydroelectric project in the world. But hey, that one is only interesting for science nerds, so why would I feel bad? ;)

Next up will be the northwestern part of the country. Salta, to be precise, with daytrips out to the saltlakes of San Antonio de los Cobres, a 4200 m pass, the hill of 7 colours at Pumamarca and the most beautiful road in Argentina up to Cachi. Since the 22 hour busride sounded like a bit of a pain, I opted to do it in two legs. So here I am, sitting in a very groovy internet cafe in Resistencia (Chaco region), writing this blog in between the power outages (now saving after every sentence). I arrived yesterday after a 10 hour bus ride and stayed in a funky-looking hotel. Today I did some relaxed shopping and tried to keep out the heat during the 4 hour long siesta by taking a 2 hour lunch and this update. I needed to buy some things, because of course I forgot some things at home and at Sole´s place. ;) Tonight I will take the overnight bus (12 hours) to Salta, where I will stay for 4 nights. I will try to write my next update from Cordoba in about a week. Whenever I get the chance, I will also try to upload some pics.

Before I forget, one of the things I bought today was a SIM card, so I can now also be reached by phone/SMS at +54 3722 628703.

Lots of love from sunny Argentina!

Chau!

Anouksreizen says:
Wij dutchies kunnen ook wel engels. Bedankt voor de leuke blog. Benieuwd naar je andere verhalen.
Posted on: Jan 19, 2008