Day 1, Uden/Amsterdam/Kuwait/Colombo

Uden Travel Blog

Day 1 – Uden, The Netherlands – Kuwait, Kuwait – Colombo, Sri Lanka

The night before depature I didnt sleep at all. I had spent the first day of Christmas at Robin’s house. Having dinner with him and his family the usual Christmas stuff. After that I went home in the evening together with Robin. He would stay over and drive with us to the airport to say goodbye. I just couldn’t sleep I still had to pack the last things and put music on my Ipod so it wasn’t that bad I still had stuff to do. Robin was very much annoyed with me since he had no trouble sleeping at all and me and my laptop were keeping him awake. I was very happy when the time to get up arrived. I took a shower and made sure I was ready to go.

Stopover in Kuwait
We arrived at Schiphol Airport very early since there was no traffic at all. I said goodbye to Robin and my brother Djuri (who had slept trough the whole trip since he had a rough night with lots of alcohol) We checked in and did some shopping. I bought some “Holland” T-shirts for my 2 halfbrothers I was going to meet.

Finally it was time to board. The Saturday before we left we heard there was a big change in our travelschedule. At first we booked a flight with MartinAir from Amsterdam to Muscat and then from Muscat to Colombo. The flight was cancelled and the Travelagency did everything to get us on another flight. Thankfully everything worked out and we would fly with KLM to Kuwait and from Kuwait to Colombo with Sri Lankan Airlines.

Waiting for departure to Colombo
Also the flight back had changed. We would fly with Sri Lankan Airlines to Dubai and from Dubai to Amsterdam with KLM. I didn’t care about any of it as long as I could go! The flight to Kuwait took about 5,5/6 hours. I had a great time on the plane since KLM has seperate tv screens in the chair in front of you with lots of new movies, tv shows, music, travelprograms etc.. to choose from. The food was also pretty good so I was happy :) I even slept some but thats easy for me. I’m ‘lil so I can curl up in those chairs pretty easily. When we arrived at the Airport of Kuwait everything was dark already. Kuwait looked so pretty from the sky. All the lights made it look very beautiful I really wish I could’ve shown it to you but I couldn’t get to my camera in time :(.

It was very funny to be at the airport since the traditional clothes were so cool :) and the Airport was pretty aswell.

Yaayy :) we're here!!
There were a lot of prayer room’s (Seperate ones for men and women) wich we don’t have so that was new for me to see that at an airport. After going to the transfer desk and getting our boarding passess for the next flight it was time to go to the gate already. That was pretty funny to me. Everybody was staring at us because it was a flight to Colombo pretty much all the people at the gate were Sri Lankan. My parents were the only foreigners there and ofcourse I clearly look European everybody just stared. That was very strange. Other people who are adopted and who went back to Sri Lanka had already warned me for that so I knew, but it was still strange! We flew with Sri Lankan Airlines and the crew members were all wearing a pretty Sari with the pattern of a peacock on it. The Peacock is a symbol of Sri Lanka. After a flight that seemed to last for ages we finally arrived at Colombo Aiport at 4 in the night, local time.

Sheila_0808 says:
very elaborate! nice blog;-)
Posted on: Apr 10, 2008
tvillingmarit says:
I always find the food good at KLM
Posted on: Jan 20, 2008
cneoridium says:
I like the way you tell and illustrate the story : )
Posted on: Jan 05, 2008