The city of Gaudi

Barcelona Travel Blog

Placa Reial, where my hostel was situated
I got a ride on Giovanni's motorbike to Naples airport.. with backpack and all! As I was waiting for my flight to Barcelona, a local Italian girl decided to befriend me. It was a rather interesting conversation, given that my Italian was better than her English.... a worry indeed!

Upon arriving in Barcelona, I soon discovered there was an upcoming Champions League football match between the Glasgow Rangers and Barcelona FC. The city was flooded with loud, chanting Scotsmen. The atmosphere was amazing! Unfortunately though, it seemed a lot of these loud Scotsmen were staying in my hostel.. and chanting until the wee hours of the morning... every night. This was very annoying when I actually wanted to sleep! Oh well, Barcelona is known as a party city, so I guess I was never going to get much sleep anyway!

I spent the next few days seeing the sights around the city, including the beach and Gaudi architecture.
La Ramblas
Gaudi's most famous work would be La Sagrada Familia, which construction began on in 1882. It is still under construction to this day and is expected to be finished in at least another 20 years or so! It's quite incredible and I think it will be one of the most amazing cathedrals in the world. Gaudi was extremely religious and devoted the last 15 years of his life to designing the cathedral. When asked how long it would take to finish, he is well known for saying 'my client is not in a hurry.'

Another great spot in Barcelona was the park, which had some great musicians and jugglers on the weekend. La Ramblas is one of the main streets in Barcelona and it's filled with markets and street performers... another favourite.

I also got the chance to reunite with some friends I'd met first in Germany, and then Venice. We had several nights out on the town, which was great fun! I also made sure to try paella, sangria and see a flamenco show.

Placa Reial, where my hostel was s…
Placa Reial, where my hostel was …
photo by: fivepointpalm