EuropeNorwayOslo

Strolling Through Scandinavia: Part 2

Oslo Travel Blog

View of Karl Johan's Gate in Oslo
After visiting Stockholm, we knew that Oslo had a lot to live up to. After such a charming city as Stockholm, the big, dirty city feel of Oslo became even more prominent. Its one major street, Karl Johan's Gate, became our only means of finding entertainment. If I were to sum up our trip to Norway with one word, it would be "wandering." Wandering to find things to do, wandering to find the coast to watch the sunset, wandering to find things to do at night. Throughout our trip to Oslo, we found ourselves in a perpetual state of lost. I am being harsh. There were some enjoyable parts to Oslo as well (and even more so if we had been there in the summer when more things, like ferries to the fjords, had been open) like a really cool sculpture park on the outskirts of the city, or the island of Bygdøy and it's charming tea room, or Grünerløkka, which is considered to be the "Greenwich Village" of Oslo with its square and charming restaurants.
Inside the fortress in Oslo
But overall, Oslo left a bit do be desired. What our trip did for me, though, was give me more of a reason to go back and visit another Norwegian city, knowing the charm of Decorah, Iowa, which reeks of its Norwegian heritage, must have been inspired by a village somewhere in Norway.
In the meantime, I will always look back on our trip with fond memories. Though the cities themselves had somewhat of an impact on how much we enjoyed the trip, the group with whom I traveled were the major contribution to how much fun I had during the week. I think one way to measure how a trip went is to identify which emotion emerges when reminiscing about that experience. And when I look back on this trip, I will always remember it with a smile and often, with a laugh. :)
View of Karl Johans Gate in Oslo