Guatemala Norte

El Remate Travel Blog

The northeastern third of Guatemala contains less than 5 percent of its population, and is mostly jungle.  Pretty cool, er, well, it´s hot too.

The main draw is Tikal, the heart of the Mayan empire for 1000 years.  My plan was to make 2 visits to see sunset there when the jungle comes alive, and I convinced this Canadian guy to come along.  We almost got stuck there because we didn´t make the last 6pm bus, fortunately he wasn´t pissed at me and we got a ride back eventually. I only stayed calm because a female restaurant employee was also waiting for a shuttle to our town, and my Spanish was barely good enough to communicate with her.  Yesterday we, and a bunch of Americans we met on the bus got together to hire a guide, and it was really worth it.  You learn so much more, and he will spot rare creatures like giant camouflaged moths.  We saw plenty of howler and spider monkeys as well.  The best part was just hours of hiking through the jungle, with intermittant rain and sun.

This picture is the “Star Wars shot.” I was the geek who reminded everyone the scenes in the 1977 film… it´s Princess Leia´s planet, the one blown up by the Death Star (i´m forgetting the name… for shame) there´s multiple shots from this exact spot where the lookouts are watching ships land and take off.

Tonight I spend my last night here in Guatemala City to fly out tomorrow, the 4th city I´ve stayed in.  I´ve spent the last two in this sleepy lake town called El Remate, which apparently means, the Auction, and the least touristy place I got to crash in, although that is changing quickly as tourism grows here.  Here was last nights sunset I watched with 2 Argentenian senioritas.

El Remate