Day one: Downtown and Brooklyn

New York Travel Blog

Montague St in Broolyn Heights
For our first day I’ve planned two of those Lonely Planet walking tours, one in Brooklyn and another one in Downtown Manhattan. Because we wanted to walk the Brooklyn Bridge from Brooklyn side, we too the train to High St, Brooklyn. There we walked around like our Lonely Planet told us an came trough gorgeous, and very expensive, Brooklyn Heights. It’s a really beautiful and quiet neighbourhood and according to the people we’ve seen on the streets obiously very children friendly. While walking there I asked Ewa a couple of times if she would like it to move into an area like this, but… no reply :)
Anyway, so far Ewa hasn’t seen so much from New York, which had a coole effect on her when she first saw the impressive Skyline of Lower Manhatten when we arrived at Brooklyn Heights promenade on the East River (with noisy Brooklyn-Queens-Expressway) below.
Fulton Landing
From there wen went to Dumbo (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) where we made some pictures on a plattform below the bridge.
After that we had a Pizza for Lunch in Grimaldi’s, just below the bridge. This place is absolutely awesome! Lonely Planet says it’s one of the best Pizza places in NYC and for me it was one of the best I had in my whole life and I had a few really good while ravelling through italy. What I like besides the food is that Frank Sinatra is everywhere. They’ve got lots of photos on the walls and the Jukebox is playing his songs. When we arrived, there were just a couple of seats left in the restaurant, but when we left, there were people waiting in a line outside. I’ve never seen something like this. Oh, by the way, there I had my first local beer, a Brooklyn Lager. Very good, very cheap and very NYC :)
We went a couple of more blocks through Brooklyn in the area around Manhattan Bridge before crossing the East River on the famous Brooklyn Bridge.
Waiting in the line at Grimaldi's
The walkway on the bridge was pretty busy this time, but as always it’s a great experience.
After that we made our way through downtwon, visited the town hall, Woolworth building, Ground Zero, Wall Street, Battery Park and, what I like most in this area, the old colonial buildings on Pearl St, what looks so cool ad charming in between of all those skyscrapers. There I had another, very good beer, but I don’t rember this name nor did I took a picture.
At the end of the day we had a nice dinner at Bubba Gumps on Times Square, on of my favourites, because of the awesome atmosphere and unbelievable friendly staff.
Fulton Landing
Waiting in the line at Grimaldis
Waiting in the line at Grimaldi's
The famous pizza and even more fam…
The famous pizza and even more fa…
Brooklyn Bridge