Entering Scotland with different forms of transportation

Fort William Travel Blog

Yesterday I fly with a cheap airliner from Amsterdam, Schiphol to Glasgow, Prestwick. From there I took a bus to Fort William. It was a busride of about 3 hours, but it wasn't a punishment. The weather was beautiful and for Scottish terms extreme hot 25C. I had reserved a room in a hostel, but is wasn't much more than a small room with 4 bunks. The only facility was a bathroom which had to be shared with the whole floor. But if one is going to sail for a few weeks, this is a luxury having a warm shower in the morning.

The morning of August 8 started with a breakfast at the Safeway supermarket at the railway station. From there on I had to take the train towards Mallaig. I have agreed to get on board the sailing boat at this small harbour. This boat with the name Tryer, a Hallberg-Rassy 352, belongs to a friend of mine, Dick Jaeger. He crossed the North-Sea in July with a crew, sailed the Caledonian Canal, and after that the crew changed and he sailed the westcoast and Outer-Hebrides with another friend. I was the relief crew, bringing the boat back to the Netherlands together with Dick.

The train I was going to take was the world famous Jacobite steamtrain which would cross the Glenfinnan viaduct. This train played a role in one of the Harry Potter films. Crossing the highlands with this train, gives you a good and relaxed view on the Highlands of Scotland.

In the late afternoon Dick entered the harbour with the Tryer, this night we would sleep with three on the boat, the next morning Henk, his crew the last 14 days, would leave for the airport.
Fort William