Finally fly to Madrid, will look for Spanish referees family just after a kip in the airport :)

Madrid Travel Blog

Sleep-in in Mannheim, ran in to one of the ballet dancers on the way to the train station, caught th train from Mannheim to Munich (about 2.5 hours). Watched the first half of BRA vs GHA at the airport then had to check-in

I finally managed to fly in to Madrid after a flight delay which at least meant I got to watch the start of the Spain vs France game, some passionate Spanish fans didn't want to get on!.  Even though when we boarded the plane it was 1-1, the glum faces as I arrived in Madrid ensured I didnĀ“t have to ask the score.

The one problem with my flight delay was that it meant I got in to Madrid at about 12:30 a.m. which is unfortunately after all the trains and buses linking the airport with the city have stopped. This took about an hour of bumbling around with timetables etc. during which I also figured out that once take the taxi night rate in to account, it would cost about 35 euro to get to my 18 euro a night hostel.  So I can either pay a small fortune to get about 5 hours sleep in my hostel, or find somewhere comfy and sleep in the airport until 6 a.m when the transport system starts up again.  Fortunately the information desk also covers the topic of where is best to sleep in here, so I stretched out in a cafe upstairs and was quite rudely awoken a few hours later by people wanting to eat there.  Honestly the nerve of some people! :)

photo by: vulindlela