Day 2 Marrakech

Marrakech Travel Blog

Djemma el-Fna
Well, day two of Marrakesh! Today got up at 12.30pm, needed the sleep after all that travelling! Went for a long walk through the bazaars, getting lost in the souks and did some shopping. Plenty more mint tea drinking and coffee, and freshly squeezed orange juice.
Caught a taxi to the Mellah - the Jewish Quarters and had a good look around there. Saw the Palais El-Badi, a beautifully restored building and gardens. Walked through the narrow lanes and saw the the oldest Synagogue in Marrakesh. Then went to the Jewish Cemetery (Miarra) where there were hundreds of white tombs spreading out as far as the eye could see.
I then walked around the spice markets, where they sell things for culinary use, and the dark arts (old afrikaan blak majik), saw a lot of Mosques also.
In the evening after tea (Cous Cous and flat bread) I made my way to a local Hammam - a sort out baths/steam rooms.
Waaa!! Was not prepared for this! Was told to sit down on the floor (undressed), scrubbed all over with olive soap and a mit, then had buckets of luke warm water thrown over me. I was then scrubbed again from head to toe until I was bright red, then sploshed with buckets of water again. What an experience - that was called the massage... lol... not what I call a massage!
yarasil says:
Good to know about the massage! I am off to Morocco next month.
Posted on: Jan 18, 2009
Djemma el-Fna
Dates and apricots stall in Djemma…
Dates and apricots stall in Djemm…
Djemma el-fna at evening
Djemma el-fna at evening
Mint Tea
Mint Tea
Food stalls at night
Food stalls at night
Djemma el fna at night
Djemma el fna at night
An extremely long alley way!
An extremely long alley way!
Jewish Cemetery